Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4WD Issue. Actuator? Solenoid? Transfercase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4WD Issue. Actuator? Solenoid? Transfercase?

(Posted this in wrong section earlier..... Please forgive me I'm still a nooooob)

Wish my first post wasn't asking for help but I am in dier need!

I'll make a quick introduction and get that awkward moment out of the way....

Been following the the forum periodically for a while now, always been a Ford guy, but I've only had Mustang Cobars and Saleens. But living in northern Utah where it can snow in the middle of May, only gives you a few months to enjoy those cars and with all the hunting I do, I figured it'd be best to man up and buy a truck cause I don't think it's very practical to throw an elk on the top of your Mustang and haul it off the mountain.....

Bout a month ago I picked up a 2006 F-150 Lariat Supercrew Flex Fuel with 72k miles. I was told it had a 3" leveling kit when I bought it, but after running around town last week looking for rear shocks the shop told me it is more like a 6" lift so not quite sure how lifted it is lol. Since I've had it I've changed the transmission and differential fluids, replaced fuel filter, and also replaced the rear shocks, and installed an Edge Evolution Programmer. And last week I replaced the front left hub assembly before I headed up to the moutnains to do some scouting for the hunt and that's where the problem showed itself.... It was raining pretty hard in the mountains and I was in some thick, deep, sticky mud and a few miles in I finally got stuck due to my trailer dragging in the mud behind me. I was at a complete stop and switched it to 4 High and the light came up on the dash so I put it in gear and started giving it gas and it almost felt like I was in neutral, I would get up to 1500-1800 RPM before I'd feel the truck trying to move. It felt like the front end wasn't engaging. I put it in neutral and switched to 4 low, put it in gear and let off the brake and I just started crawling no problem without even giving it any throttle. I went back to 2wd then tried 4 high again and the dash light would come on but I wouldn't hear or feel it engage. Went back to 4 Low and you hear it engage and away I went. And yes that was my very first time putting the truck into 4WD. The shop that I had look over the truck before I purchased it told me the 4WD drive was working just fine and the t case and diff didn't have any excessive play and everything was solid on the truck, just needed the front left wheel bearing replaced. So as far as I know the 4WD was working fine when I first bought it.

Does this sound more like the Actuator/Solenoid Ect or Transfercase? Could I have done something when I replaced the hub assembly or differential fluid?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:54 AM

I was reading on another forum and someone had the same problem as me except it was 4 low instead of 4 high and after he changed his edge evo from level 3 to level 1 the problem was solved. Could my Edge Evo be the issue? I leave mine set on level 2.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB1232
I was reading on another forum and someone had the same problem as me except it was 4 low instead of 4 high and after he changed his edge evo from level 3 to level 1 the problem was solved. Could my Edge Evo be the issue? I leave mine set on level 2.
your programmer has nothing to do with the 4wd system
Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Sounds like the solenoid on firewall behind the battery.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my understanding the solenoid just blocks vacuum when activated and allows hubs to lock. Unplugging it will lock in the hubs. Doubtful that's your issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

T case encoder?

Quick Reply: 4WD Issue. Actuator? Solenoid? Transfercase?