Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
2004 lifted FX4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm in 4 low buried in a snowbank shouldn't the front wheel spin if the back wheels are spinning?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Thats what 4WD does...you have a problem buddy
Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM

That is correct.

Are you posting this from your cell phone while in a snowbank?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
2004 lifted FX4

Thumbs down My dealership SUCKS

Originally Posted by 4GreenFords
That is correct.

Are you posting this from your cell phone while in a snowbank?
Yep, .25 mile long hill with a 18% grade and rich people who think it's funny to use a snow blower to pile up snow in the middle of the street. I just couldn't believe how hard it was to brake the truck free and how easy it was to get it stuck. I had my F150 in the shop about 2 weeks ago for the IWE upgrade and the shop said it was all good to go, they lied to me
Old 01-27-2011, 01:52 PM

Not sure why you think you need 4LO......for some reason people think 4LO is the best option when your really stuck!! Your truck should be in 4HI when you feel its needed.....and ONLY in 4LO if your trying to pull a mobile home across a slippery surface. The LO only gives you a lower gear ratio.....it doesnt make the 4 wheel drive work in any different way! Heck, I dont think you can go more than 20mph in LO!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by VtecGSR95
Not sure why you think you need 4LO......for some reason people think 4LO is the best option when your really stuck!! Your truck should be in 4HI when you feel its needed.....and ONLY in 4LO if your trying to pull a mobile home across a slippery surface. The LO only gives you a lower gear ratio.....it doesnt make the 4 wheel drive work in any different way! Heck, I dont think you can go more than 20mph in LO!
I've been saying the same for years... I think it's common to think 4lo engages some kind of locker... (not true by the way)
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

Front and back tires won't all be spinning if you're stuck. If you don't have a limited slip differential which supplies power to both left and right sides of the vehicle. It just sends power to one wheel up front and in the back, and that wheel is.... you guessed it, the one with less traction.

My buddy and I were hauling wood the other day and were stuck in his 4wd drive truck spinning 2 wheels, we would stack it up on the other side and then the opposite tire would spin. Getting a limited slip dif is so worth it.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
2004 lifted FX4

4lo keeps me from smoking the tires. See I drag race a mustang during the summers and miss it in the winters. My truck does have limited slip and while I wouldn't ever do it you can run up to 60mph in low. I just like the gear ratio when crawling are in snow and mud

Love the complete lack of power out of the front wheels this morning though. I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting
Old 01-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you tried it after getting unstuck? Sometimes, the 4WD system needs the truck to roll a few feet to line everything up in the t-case and axle and engage fully.

Diagnostic procedure for truck with stock (open) front diff:

1) Jack front of truck up, secure with stands, start engine, trans in park.

2) Engage 4Hi.

3) Attempt to rotate front drive shaft. It should be locked solid, perhaps with some play.

4) Rotate driver's side wheel forward. The passenger side should rotate in the opposite direction.

If the drive shaft rotates, its a T-case problem. If the passenger side wheel doesn't rotate, its an axle / hub problem. Note "problem" could also refer to the electrics that do the shifting, not just the mechanical assemblies themselves.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
2004 lifted FX4

I was in 4wheel high for 2 miles of regular driving before getting stuck. Was that enough to line everything up normally? This is my first pickup truck so please excuse my stupidity. I have some mechanical ability but all the knowledge about my F150 is from the owners manual and this forum. Thank God for this forum!

Quick Reply: 4WD?