Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4th rack and pinion... poor steering and clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:16 PM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Unhappy 4th rack and pinion... poor steering and clunking noise

As the title says, I will be going after my 4th rack and pinion on my truck. I do not think the last rack was good but I didn't have the time and Ford didn't have anymore available.

Long story short, I had a clunking noise while turning the steering wheel left and right with the engine off. Going over rough surfaces felt like the wheels were moving independently from the steering wheel. So, I did what everyone else does and started researching the cause. After replacing the entire front end minus hub and bearings, I still have the noise and steering is sloppy.

Finally took it to Ford and they believed it was the rack and pinion. I purchased a rack for Advanced Auto and had Ford install it. After the install the rack blew up. Spewing fluid all over their shop. I worked out a deal with Advance and got a Motorcraft rack from Ford.

Ford Installed the Motorcraft rack and that rack pissed fluid everywhere too... Since it was now under Ford warranty, they replaced the rack again. This time it did not leak and I shook the wheel with the engine off. No clunking noise!!! Drove the truck home, shut her down, shook the steering wheel just to be happy no noise came from it and there was the noise again.At this point I've given up and I had to get back to my duty station.

Fast forward almost two years and the noise is worse and the steering is getting really bad. I started looking into the lower steering shaft, seeing I haven't replaced that yet and noticed the rack is showing signs of leakage. I took some videos just to take a closer look as this was a solo operation and the only other set of eyes I had at the moment was my camera.

So here we are with another rack down and another Ford appointment set for Monday.

Previous video when I was first trying to track down the noise. I couldn't figure out if it was the inner tie rods (the outer rods had been replaced) or was the rack itself.

Video of lower steering shaft. I recommend anyone suspecting this part to be defective, to record it like so and take a close look for movement at the joint for play.

This video just shows the underside by the rack exhibiting the noise further. This is when I discovered the boot was soaked with power steering fluid.

I'll update and hopefully get this front end working the correct way, noise free, and solid steering.

Feel free to chime in if you have this problem or discovered it was something else. With this truck, there is no telling what the true cause is.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it possible that your bearings are going bad? How many miles on her and have you ever had them replaced. If they were replaced, were they replaced with oem or high quality moog bearings, or are they crappy discount bearings. Have you inspected the CV axles, and the IWE's if it is 4wd. Upper and lower ball joints going bad?is there something going wrong with your power steering pump or the power steering lines. Tie rods possibly? If all those check out and you continue to burn through racks I would suggest getting a hydraulic ram assist from fox shocks or King off-road. Skyjacker makes them too I believe but not as high quality. You shouldn't need to buy that however unless your truck is lifted and or has bigger rims/tires.

Quick Reply: 4th rack and pinion... poor steering and clunking noise