Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4r75w Valve Body Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 4r75w Valve Body Rebuild?

Ok. Here's my question. A year ago I had my tranny rebuilt. A week ago I started to lose OD and had a 4-3 neutral. Hard shift between 2-3. I pulled my pan and valve body thinking my servo clip had broke but it had not. Now, if I let it sit and cool down real good, it shifts fine. Let the fluid get warm and I lose OD. I replaced all solenoids with no luck. So, I'm thinking an oring on the OD valve is acting up and I'm not building enough pressure or fluid is bypassing the valve when hot not allowing to it to function properly. Has anyone else had this issue? I also read where over time, the bore where the valve slides can wear down and a sleeve needs to be inserted. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone ever rebuild a valve body?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:34 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

How does your separator plate look? It may be cracked or a gasket may be leaking. Cracking is very common which allows the fluid to flow in areas it should not. The stock plate is then and can flex also allowing fluid to flow places it shouldn't. Also your OD band may be shot as a result of slippage or heart from the conditions you have described. Which means you could make any number of repairs or replacements to the valve body and still have issues. Hopefully that's not the case.

Here are some pics of my cracked plate and new thicker plate. I also included a pic plate mods for better performance and shifts.

New Super Tuff plate compared to stock.

The Super Tuff plate also came with this handy snub cap. This rids you of the point on the 2-3 accumulator and it braces it firmly against the separator plate. This prevents any movement at all.

As for valve body rebuilds it's very easy. I recommend the following mods when doing it. Remove (or replace with a softer) lower 1-2 shift accumulator spring. Remove 2-3 shift accumulator spring. This will give crisp fast shifts.
Here is the separator plate with holes sizes listed for anyone who wants better performance.

Last edited by Blown Ford; 05-05-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I took a look at the plates and they aren't cracked. As far as the your valve body, you have three plates where I only have two. I have thought about the jmod upgrades as you showed. I talked to a guy at central valve bodies today and they sell a complete upgraded/remanned unit for 199. As far as the OD band, if it was burned up would it not engage all the time if it was bad? I can throw it down in 2nd and wait for the engine brake to kick in, put it back it drive and then the OD will kick in again. This is why I'm thinking it's a pressure issue within the vb.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi guys
I know that is post date of a long time ago. Maybe someone can answer me anyway.
I have a problem at takeoff it gives shudder. With my 5.4 3V year 2005. the truck does not launch any DTC related to the transmission. So I tested the solenoids. They are all good. I removed the valve housing to check the accumulator.
It was then that I found that the separation plate is cracked where the accumulator 2-3 is located.
Exactly like yours.
Do you think this crack can cause a thrill on take-off?
I could also find that speed 1 and 2 need a lot of time to engage.
and no problem in reverse
Or advise me to order the pieces. As I live in Europe Usually I order at rockauto. My I do not find all the parts in their catalog.
In your opinion, what else should I check? I intend to replace the accumulator 1-2 and the accumulator 2-3 and the divider. Do you think I should check something else?
Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: 4r75w Valve Body Rebuild?