Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4R75E Fluid Puking after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4R75E Fluid Puking after rebuild

2008 Ford Lariat 5.4 long story short planetary gears blew up completely Grenada was able to get a donor transmission rebuilt resealed put fluid into transmission and everything came out of the vent tube I was not paying any attention so garage floor had about 2 gallons of transmission fluid cannot figure out for the life of me why that would happen without pulling the tranny again any ideas before I take it back off
Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

I assume it "puked" while the engine was running? Did you replace the trans cooler or at a minimum, atleast flush it really well? Did you put in a new Torque Converter?
Old 06-23-2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by screamineagle
I assume it "puked" while the engine was running? Did you replace the trans cooler or at a minimum, atleast flush it really well? Did you put in a new Torque Converter?

Without going into much detail the transmission came with the torque converter it only had 2,000 miles on the transmission I went ahead and did a rebuild while I pulled everything out of the donor transmission and put into my shell for my old transmission. I am on a very limited amount of money going through a divorce and on top of it having a heart attack and then most recently was hit by a Winnebago on my Harley. So the amount of money that I am able to spend not willing but able is very limited so I went with the flush in a can which I will agree with everyone is not the best way to go but when you need to scrape by and make do well that's what I've got to do now I know the transmission was 100% empty because I rebuild the whole thing blew out all of the passages you name it I did it I hope now I replace the transmission in my old Blazer the 4L60E transfer case even the drive shaft and rear end this one has me stumped as to through in fluid and it came out the vent tube
Old 06-25-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a pressure relief valve which would make fluid come out of the tube, I suppose like all other valves ever made, it could be stuck open?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by xMUDKINGx
There is a pressure relief valve which would make fluid come out of the tube, I suppose like all other valves ever made, it could be stuck open?

So a quick update. Pulled the pan and found the new filter at the bottom....o could not get it to stay on.....went back and fot another fiter and it was snug. After dinner going to fill up and tr again.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrady
So a quick update. Pulled the pan and found the new filter at the bottom....o could not get it to stay on.....went back and fot another fiter and it was snug. After dinner going to fill up and tr again.
hopefully that fixes the issue for you man. Sounds like it could cause some issues
Old 06-27-2016, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by xMUDKINGx
hopefully that fixes the issue for you man. Sounds like it could cause some issues
Well kind of no more leaking. Once I was able to drive it it felt like first year was not even engaging and it was starting off in second when trying to put it in first gear it felt almost like it was by ending it wasn't making any grinding noise is just kind of felt like my foot was on the break had a transmission malfunction alarm the coach said that it was a turbine 2 speed sensor fault replace those fault went away still having issues with first gear and also sounds like I don't want to use the word clunking but there is some noise coming from the bellhousing area and internally I checked all of the nuts for the torque converter and the flexplate they are to spec so not sure what noises are up there and let the torque converter is bad that came with the transmission still looking any suggestions I am more than happy to accept
Old 06-27-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrady
Well kind of no more leaking. Once I was able to drive it it felt like first year was not even engaging and it was starting off in second when trying to put it in first gear it felt almost like it was by ending it wasn't making any grinding noise is just kind of felt like my foot was on the break had a transmission malfunction alarm the coach said that it was a turbine 2 speed sensor fault replace those fault went away still having issues with first gear and also sounds like I don't want to use the word clunking but there is some noise coming from the bellhousing area and internally I checked all of the nuts for the torque converter and the flexplate they are to spec so not sure what noises are up there and let the torque converter is bad that came with the transmission still looking any suggestions I am more than happy to accept

Take the truck/ transmissin back to the rebuilder and tell him your issue and have him pull codes
Old 06-27-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

When you put the transmission back together before it puked all over, was the torque converter full? When I did a pan drop to change my fluid, I am pretty sure that 5 1/2 quarts filled the dipstick to the full mark, if you dumped 2 gallons, I was thinking that the torque converter was already full and you simply may have overfilled it. Sorry for your luck, but you probably need to get it to a shop for a better diagnosis.
Good luck, let us know what you find out
Old 06-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Yeah I put in one quart for the torque converter and accounted for that I just got done pulling the transmission stayed up all night and once again planetary gears have been destroyed. Not quite sure why I am on my second planetary and it's destroyed alignments only thing I can think of or something floating around inside of the casing back to the drawing board I guess. I am rebuilding this myself for a couple reasons, money is rather tight at the moment comma I am off of work at the time and lastly I successfully rebuilt my 4L60E for my blazer with 4 wheel drive so I felt pretty confident doing so with this I'll be the first to admit no I don't have any books only because once again money is of the essence and so is a vehicle little bit of bad luck lately divorced kids move back to Illinois I live in Texas got hit by a Winnebago on my Harley not my fault he hit me the list goes on and on LOL and this is one of those things that will not go away no matter how hard I try I cannot get this transmission to work for me so here I am paying for a vehicle that I can't even drive I don't have my Harley because I can't get it to the shop for insurance to fix it because I can't afford the tow bill life is a you know what but enough of the soapbox of my life back to the problem at hand I'm going to try and find another set of planetary gears everything else from what I can tell looks good I would love to be able to just pay someone to do it but not in the cards

Quick Reply: 4R75E Fluid Puking after rebuild