Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4 Wheel drive not working/making noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel drive not working/making noise

Hello I have a 2005 f150 stx When i shift it into 4 wheel drive the light comes on but it wont shift. When you give it gas the rear tires spin then it makes an awful bang in the front end only if it is in 4 wheel drive.This happens in 4 lo or 4 hi. Any ideas on what it is and how to fix it?
Thank You
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Have you had any grinding noise occuring prior to this problem? A lot of these trucks need the 4 wheel drive solenoid replaced and there is a service bulletin out for it, see this thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...rvice+bulletin

Only thing I can think of is if you had the problem and let it go on too long. But I really don't know what could cause this.

Last edited by Hause; 10-14-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hause
Have you had any grinding noise occuring prior to this problem? A lot of these trucks need the 4 wheel drive solenoid replaced and there is a service bulletin out for it, see this thread.

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...rvice+bulletin

Only thing I can think of is if you had the problem and let it go on too long. But I really don't what could cause this.
I second Hause's opinion.
Part number is 6L3Z-9E441-A. Get it from your local dealership. Read the forum link Hause provided you to clear the lines.

"
Its an IWE solenoid located on the firewall behind the battery part
# 6L3Z-9E441-A updated part has a plastic mounting brackett that covers the top, old stye is mounted on a metal brackett. Make sure to disconnect the lines at the hubs and blow out any moisture ( lines between iwe solenoid and hubs) and also use a vacume pump if you have one and vacume the hubs to remove any moisture thats present"

Last edited by kjohnson1; 10-12-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the info. Changed solenoid still wont engage into 4 wheel drive figure it ruined the hubs? The transfer case seems to be working just cant get the front wheels to engage. What kind of job is it to change out the hubs? Have shop and many tools.
Thank You
Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 PM

had the same problem it could be a couple of different things such as vacum lines but im betting on it being you 4wd actuator itll probly run you around $100 but if you ne what mechanically inclined you can do it urself
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The 4wd light coming on signifies that the transfer case has synchronized and engaged, and sent the signal to the solenoid to dump the vacuum, and lock the hubs. The solenoid and 4wd light are on the same circuit, I've been told. Your problem (I would think) would be beyond the t-case. Since you already changed the most common cause, (the solenoid), you may have a bad IWE (integrated wheel end or "hub"). Keep in mind that if even ONE of these is bad, and won't engage, you won't have 4wd, and you may get a banging noise if it tries to engage while you're on the gas pedal.

Last edited by driver444; 04-01-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this out
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/everything-you-wanted-know-about-iwe-system-then-some-20611/
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Dick

I actually just fixed the exact same problen as your describing. Mine was the acuator on the PS that had failed. When I replaced it I took the old one apart and there was a whole lot of dirt and moisture that had collected in the bottom, this caused it only to move in and out on the top which wasn't engaging the 4WD. Takes about an hour to fix with a few simple tools. Hope this was of some help.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Default Grinding Noise front end.

I have a 2006 F 150 4X4. Ever since I got the truck on a very occasional basis - I would hear grinding noise from under the truck - sounded like metal on metal grinding or as others have said sounded like I was dragging somthing- I thought it was the trany. Took it to the deal 5 different times - could not find a problem - even had the transmission fluid and filter changed. After this last incident where it seems to happen and wouldn't stop - I checked on line for answers. Finally someone suggested the Vacumn solinoid value. Checked into that - and sure enough I was lossing vacumn on the truck. Deal replaced the Vacumn solinoid - thought I was good to go - took the truck out and within 10 miles it happened again. Back to the dealer - they took the truck out and after about 25 miles it happened to them - finally. Now they believed me - which pissed me off. Anway, they traced the problem to a vacumn hose - small manufacturers defect in the hose causing me to lose vacumn. I have the hose - it's definatly a defect. Anway- it's fixed under warrenty - but I had to keep going back until it was fixed. Anyone else that has this problem -look to the solinoid or vacumn hose out of it. Lose vacumn and the 4x4 tries to engage while driving. The thing that ticks me off the most was that it was I that had to tell them what was wrong - I found the problem on the internet and suggested that they look where I told them - I thought they were the experts?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Cold weather issues

After reading the post and the all the response my question is about cold weather. I snowboard all winter long and am thinking about getting a used 05 F150 to replace my dead Dodge. It sounds like the front hubs are disengaged when the engine is off, has anybody had issues with it switching back into 4x4 after sitting in sub zero temperatures for a long period of time? Additionally what's the possibility of the vacuum lines freezing up with any potential moisture in the system?

Thank you for your time.
-t

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel drive not working/making noise