Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4 low clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 low clunk?

so i am thinking about buying a 2004 fx4 superrew 4 door or whatever it is called with 75x miles. i went to test drive it and it was kinda worrying me. there was a small leak from rust in the muffler where condinsation was dripping but it was condinsation im pretty sure just like out of the tailpipe. i noticed this before driving it and it dident sound any diffferent when i was accelerating or anything b/c it was suh a small hole. but when i turned and accelerated it felt like the car was shaking kind of like a tire rub, but it has stock tires? any ideas? and when i put it in 4 low i put it back into drive from nuetral and started to accelerate and as soon as i pressed the gas i felt and heard a loud clunk and the wrench warning light came on. it drove fine but the light was still on untill i tuned the truck off and back on. the guy had it sitting for a year in his garage, could this be the reason there was a clunk, because he hadent used four wheel drive in over a year? please feed back is awsome, thanks ~mstenz
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A small clunk when shifting to 4 low or out is normal .but can you ask him if you can bring it to a certified mechanic so he can tell you if there is anything wrong with the truck. hope this help
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4angel
A small clunk when shifting to 4 low or out is normal .but can you ask him if you can bring it to a certified mechanic so he can tell you if there is anything wrong with the truck. hope this help
how "small" this felt like we just went into a small pothole but dident do it again after i tried a few more times
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
always dirty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mstenz23
how "small" this felt like we just went into a small pothole but dident do it again after i tried a few more times
Mine is doing same thing. A clunk louder at first . then if i do it again a few times almost just a click . i spend a lot of times in the sand Dunes and in the desert with my truck , almost always on 4 wheel drive . I had 2 k . when i got it lifted with 35's .so far 74 k still making that noise but , no troubles at all .. yours might be different . ask around , or go to a Ford dealership . so you can try it there , and listen while doing the switching with same models..

Quick Reply: 4 low clunk?