Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

#4 exhaust manifold leak - what to do

Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default #4 exhaust manifold leak - what to do

So i have had some ticking since i bought the truck 6 months ago and someone on here told me how to find out if it was the Cam Phase Sensor or an Exhaust Leak. Basically, put it in neutral or drive, rev the motor and listen for ticking. if ticking then CPS. If you put it in drive, hold brake and apply throttle and you hear it tick, then you have a leak. well, this was confirmed when i tool it to 2 mechanics and both said it was the exhaust. the 2nd was Ford when i had them doing some work on my 4x4 last week.

Now the question... What should i do about it? i head it ticking/popping all the time but my mufflers seem to over power the sound pretty good. but when i am sitting idle, it sounds like a diesel and ticks like that.

General pricing for new manifolds are about 400 - 1000 and that's just parts. labor from ford to replace the gaskets was about 800.

both of these are way too much for me right now. what would you guys do to fix or mask this for the time being?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
www.sldraftingdesign.com

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

replaced mine for $173 including labor.

Buy a Dorman manifold and stud kit, comes out to around $113 at Advance Auto. Use the code RETMENOT124 and pick up in store to save $40 off order. Then put it on yourself. Took me and my wife's uncle 6 hours to do mine, paid him $100 (he is a mechanic with all the right tools).

Yes it's a pain, yes I hated it, but I LOVED saving a few HUNDRED bucks

Ive had nothing but good from Dorman, it seems they fix all the OEM screw ups
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats my fear... breaking a stud

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: #4 exhaust manifold leak - what to do