Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4.6L vs 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4.6L vs 5.4L

Just wondering what the biggest difference between the 2 motors besides the hp/tq ratings.

What are the numbers for towing for the 4.6 vs the 5.4?

Anything else different?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Ferd F-TeenThousand

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The 5.4 has a 3-valve head design, with variable cam timing. I'm sure there are several other things, but those, besides the displacement, are the big differences. Both seem to be victims of their own programming.

The towing ratings vary from truck to truck, depending on configuration. I don't really tow anything, so someone who does might have a little more insight into the subject.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 4.6L in my truck and it does a great job towing. I pull my 25' pontoon boat like nothing. It seems like its a little lazy on take off as far as spped goes even when I'm not towing, but that could have a lot to do with the gear ratio. Other than that it does a great job.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Ask yourself what you want....meaning, do you want the extra "oomph" of the 5.4?

From what I have read over the past year I've been a member of this forum, the 5.4 has it's glory, and it has it's quirks. Spark plugs and cam phasers seem to top the list in trouble spots. Then there's the gas mileage issue. Don't expect to get anything better than 14 to 15 MPG TOPS with the 5.4 on it's best tuned day, driving downhill with strong hurricane winds at your backside. On the other hand, it will tow the snot out of anything you put on it's trailer hitch within it's rated towing capacity. Resale value for trucks equipped with the 5.4 seem to be better; buyers seem to want the "big" motor.

So, ask yourself what you will honestly be using the truck for. The 4.6 does not have the spark plug issue, I have not heard any issues with engine noise with the 4.6, and no complaints of it's fuel milage compared to the large number of complaints with the 5.4.

Me, I drive the 4.2 V6 STX model. Great truck, great engine. I tow a trailer from time to time (last trip from Texas to Florida with a U-haul trailer). With 84K on the odometer, it's doing great. Plenty enough power for what I need.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 11-12-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM
F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i've heard, I've got couple friends with the 4.6L and it doesn't make better milleage than the 5.4L. The truck weight is the same for the 4.6 to the 5.4, but the 5.4 is stronger. Again it depends on how hard you are on the pedal !
Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM

From what I have read over the past year I've been a member of this forum, the 5.4 has it's glory, and it has it's quirks. Spark plugs and cam phasers seem to top the list in trouble spots. Then there's the gas mileage issue. Don't expect to get anything better than 14 to 15 MPG TOPS with the 5.4 on it's best tuned day, driving downhill with strong hurricane winds at your backside. On the other hand, it will tow the snot out of anything you put on it's trailer hitch within it's rated towing capacity. Resale value for trucks equipped with the 5.4 seem to be better; buyers seem to want the "big" motor.
Sorry but you are wrong about mileage. I routinely get 16-18 mpg with my 5.4 on the highway. Around town, usually 15 or 15 is the norm. Now if you have the gas mashed against the floor all the time, then you'll get lousy mileage, but if you drive a bit easier, your gas money will go further.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Then there's the gas mileage issue. Don't expect to get anything better than 14 to 15 MPG TOPS with the 5.4 on it's best tuned day, driving downhill with strong hurricane winds at your backside.
That's not 100% true, my 08 5.4 Screw with 3.73's usually gets around 16 with my mix of hwy/city driving. More if I drive somewhere on the interstate (17+), less if I spend more time rolling around town or towing something (14-). I agree the 14-15 mpg is probably representative of a good number of trucks because of driving conditions, driving habits, vehicle maint, etc. My point is, 15mpg is not a maximum.

But it boils down to the fact that I bought a fullsize truck, not a Prius. And I got a V8. And I am getting the same (if not 1 or 2 more) mpg with this truck as I did with my old '95 reg cab, 8ft box, I6 300, 2wd, auto with 3.08's.

On topic: The 4.6 V8 is a solid performer. They had a 4.6L in the mustang before it was even in our trucks (by model year), and the mustang still has it. (I know: 2,3,4 valves but its still a modular 4.6L) They wouldn't still be using it in the mustang if it was a crappy engine.

However, the 5.4L has also been around a while too in 150's, 250's, Expeditions and Navi's. YES, there are SOME known issues with SOME model years, like plugs & cam phasers & whatnot... But if you get the plugs done once the right way following the TSB, plugs shouldnt be an issue after that (one piece plugs + nickel anti-seize).

Maybe you can test drive one with either engine to get a feel for the difference? Anyway, find a truck you like, and for a good price I'd say go for it. I got the 5.4 so that a few years down the road, I don't hit myself in the head asking why I don't have the V8 I wanted in the first place.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Over the first two fill-ups in my 2004 FX4 with the 5.4L I have averaged 19.1. I haven't found the best fuel efficient route to work yet (the one I used to take has a giant hill to go over). So I am betting my city mpg will be right around the 14 epa estimated. I actually hit 20MPG with mixed highway/country/city driving with a 400 lb sport bike in the back. No programmer (yet).
Old 11-12-2009, 09:56 AM

I have a 4.6 and tow a bass boat constantly no problem at all. Up some nasty ramps too...

I can tell though, if I was to tow much more than that, I'd want the 5.4 So you gotta draw your own line. As bucko stated, the 4.2 works for his application, so he's right where he needs to be.

Don't let gas mileage steer you. I get 15 with mine as the norm. Thats no better than the 5.4 at the end of the day. Not sure what I get towing the boat, I'll check it out.

Until this thread, I assumed the 4.6's had spark plug issues too, is this confirmed???
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

the 4.6 doesnt have the sparkplug issue..

but i can get up 17 up my 4.6, sure i would like the 5.4 but i dont really need it, i have the 4.6 because i do occasional towing that i need a v8 for, and i love that v8 sound

Quick Reply: 4.6L vs 5.4L