Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4.2L Rough start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Default 4.2L Rough start.

Ok, So I am asking this question for my buddy who has a 2006 XL 4.2L with approx 43k on it. (Can be seen in the background here.)

When he starts it in the morning, or even sometimes after reaching OT already- As soon as the engine fires after the starter turning, the initial first few revolutions of the engine are rough as hell. It almost feels like it is firing a couple cylinders short. This only lasts for litterally a second or so. Once it has started, it has the charactaristic slightly rough idle that my 5.4L had and that so many of us experience. No CEL is on either.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Lenn; 12-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default re: rough starts on 4.2L XL

I, too, own a white 2006 XL (around 52K miles on mine at present). Typically, mine starts up ok the first time I start it in the morning to go to work, and again when I'm done for the day and start it to make the trip home again. If I stop someplace along the way though, shut off the engine, and restart it again a few minutes later? Yep - I usually either get the exact same thing, or it won't start at all on the first try.

It's done this to me since I bought it used, around April, '09. I use the truck as a daily driver and this occasional "hard starting" issue hasn't really gotten any worse or caused me any big problems -- so I haven't tried to get a shop to fix it.

I did a little research one time, and I thought there was some mention of these trucks and engines having an issue with the fuel injectors that caused this. (Something about Ford redesigning them, eventually, to cure the problem?)

Originally Posted by Lenn
Ok, So I am asking this question for my buddy who has a 2006 XL 4.2L with approx 43k on it. (Can be seen in the background here.)

When he starts it in the morning, or even sometimes after reaching OT already- As soon as the engine fires after the starter turning, the initial first few revolutions of the engine are rough as hell. It almost feels like it is firing a couple cylinders short. This only lasts for litterally a second or so. Once it has started, it has the charactaristic slightly rough idle that my 5.4L had and that so many of us experience. No CEL is on either.

Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I have a 2005 STX with the 4.2, with 81K. Every morning when I start it (cold engine), it fires after about 2 seconds, idles high (1150 RPM on the SCANGUAGE II guage), and in about 1 minut, the idle drops to its "normal" 850 RPM range.

Start with the simple basics....any vacuum leaks? Any air intake leaks? Bad plug wire(s)? Fouled plug?

During cold starts, the engine gets extra fuel and less air, so look for fuel injector conditions, or too much air (but I'd think too much air would set a code.

I'd think to rule out the O2 sensors at cold startup as well, as they need a few seconds to heat up, and are out of the equasion on cold startup.

Quick Reply: 4.2L Rough start.