Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

3D Build Software

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Build Software

Hey does anyone know of any good free 3D design Software for modeling Off Road parts, such as bumpers or rock sliders.
IK autodesk as a great Student program, where they let high school or college kids get a free pro download for 3 years. I'm currently in High School and am going to try to go into engineering in college, i just don't have a good idea or reference to start at. Reason for this is i want to start designing a bumper and get my ideas set and out there so that i can go straight into it after school ends. I have a Apple MacBook Pro so my computer can definately handle 3D softwares.
Any help would be awesome!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Having a Mac will limit a lot of things. When will you be going to school? When I was an engineering student we had access to almost all of the CAD software through the university. You could download it on your personal laptop and use one of there licenses. I still have autodesk inventor because of that ha.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
Having a Mac will limit a lot of things. When will you be going to school? When I was an engineering student we had access to almost all of the CAD software through the university. You could download it on your personal laptop and use one of there licenses. I still have autodesk inventor because of that ha.
I'm currently a Junior in High School and i plan on going to a College in NC for mechanical engineering. Im just looking for a good 3D software that'll let me put together some somewhat basic designs. Needs to be able to do tubing and some way to measure or input measurements/angles so i can make it look as uniform as possible
Old 03-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not sure what you can do on a Mac for programs but on my PC I have run two. google sketch up and vector works. either one works
Old 03-05-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by clayhopkins1
I'm currently a Junior in High School and i plan on going to a College in NC for mechanical engineering. Im just looking for a good 3D software that'll let me put together some somewhat basic designs. Needs to be able to do tubing and some way to measure or input measurements/angles so i can make it look as uniform as possible
Most basic softwares will let you do that. Good choice on degree, that's what I have.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm a civil engineering student up at UMN and I run Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks on my Mac. If you want to run any good programs on your Mac you'll have to partition your hard drive and install windows on it. I run Windows 7pro and OS X Yosemite on my Macbook Pro. All my drafting etc. is done on SolidWorks and Inventor. Inventor is free for students and pretty user friendly. If you ask your high school drafting/engineering teacher he/she should be able to give you access to a license for free. SolidWorks is going to cost you a pretty penny.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jreimnitz150
I'm a civil engineering student up at UMN and I run Autodesk Inventor and SolidWorks on my Mac. If you want to run any good programs on your Mac you'll have to partition your hard drive and install windows on it. I run Windows 7pro and OS X Yosemite on my Macbook Pro. All my drafting etc. is done on SolidWorks and Inventor. Inventor is free for students and pretty user friendly. If you ask your high school drafting/engineering teacher he/she should be able to give you access to a license for free. SolidWorks is going to cost you a pretty penny.
Can you install windows for free or does it cost money?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jreimnitz150
I knew quite a few in school that had portioned their hard drives to run both. I guess I forgot about that.

Quick Reply: 3D Build Software