Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2WD Rim/Tire/Lift question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2WD Rim/Tire/Lift question

Just bought a 2WD 2007 F150 SCREW. What I'm wanting to do is put it on a 6" suspension lift later when I have the $ for it. For now, I was hoping to just buy NOW the size/type rims I will be running with the lift later. Only thing is, I have no idea if the size I want to run with the lift can be bought and used NOW. So here's what I'm aimming for - 6" Pro Comp lift, 35/12.50/20 Pro Comp Extreme AT tires, 20" Pacer Ridgelines rims. My question is, can I buy the 20" Ridgelines now and run them on current 2WD stock? If so, what is the widest tire I can go with at current stock 2WD with this rim? Can I accomadate say a Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts at 12.50? If so, how tall/wide of a tire will the 2WD stock wheel well take without rub on this size rim? Sorry for all the questions... I'm a newbie to the post as well as truck mods.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
chadly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are ridgelines duane, I'm new here to. I have a 05 2wd xl wit 8ft bed and the 4.6 I was looking for a aggresive tire for the back, we get a lot of snow here in nw indiana. Thanks chad
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM

Google Pacer Ridgelines and it'll show you what they look like. Really nice looking rim. I've seen them on other trucks and I think those are the ones I'm going with... just trying to figure out the correct size to purchase and run now before my lift, that will work out just right when the lift is installed. After reading the sticky, I believe I will need to get the 18"x8.5 (or 18"x9) Pacer Ridgelines, and go no larger that 31x12.5 on the tires. Anyone who thinks I can go ahead with 20" Pacer Ridgelines in this situation, please chime in. Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20" wheels will fit... some trucks came with 20's from the factory. Just look at the sticky at the top of this forum section
Old 12-22-2009, 03:27 PM

I have a stock 2004 2wd and just TODAY put 20's on it with 275/55-20 Nitto Dura Grappler tires. The inch conversion for the tire size is approximately 32"x11". I drove around town some (in the snow) and haven't had any rubbing issues. When stopped, I turned the wheels in both direction and only noticed about an inch of clearance.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Keeblerz... thanks... I'll read the sticky, but I guess that since I'm a bit new to specs on all the different options, I'm just wanting to make sure my $ is spent correctly on the correct size for when I'm ready for lift. When you say the 20's will fit, (help me out here), can I go to a 20x9" Ridgeline?, or should I stay smaller as in 20x8 or 8.5? I'd really like to go as wide as I can with the rims without rubbing in my current stock setup. I'm willing to but tires to fit a no-lift situation on the rims of my choice right now, that will also look great on 6" lift and 35/12.5/20's later. I'm willing to buy a larger tire later to better match the coming lift, but I'm hoping to make a one-time purchase on the right rims - 20" Pacer Ridgelines. What do you think?

Batboy... you got any pics of your new tire/rim setup??
Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you really should just wait until you have your lift put on then you only have to buy one set of tires and wheels. the wheels that will fit right on a stock truck will not fit on a lifted truck. you have to have a wheel that sticks out farther like one that has less than 5 inches of backspacing.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 PM

I here ya dillon... and that all makes since, but I'm up to buying new tires. The ones on there now are seeing their last days so I need to be getting that done pretty quick. Hence, the reason I have decided to at least try and accomadate the "choice" rim purchase that will run on my coming lift later on. If I have to buy a smaller tire right now to put on the new Ridgelines and then buy the larger, more appropriate to match the lift later, thats fine. My main concern is - can I buy 20x9 (or even 20x8) Pacer Ridgelines right now and run on my current stock 2WD? I'll put the largest (or close to the largest) tire I can on the rims for now... whatever tire that can be. Based on all I am reading here, I should be able to go with 31x12.5x20 tire on a 20x8.5 Pacer Ridgelines rim. Or can I go 20x9 Pacer without a rub at this time? Any help from you experts would be oh so appreciated?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 PM

I will post pictures in a couple of days. For now you can look at my garage for stock pictures.

You can go with either the 20”x8.5” or 20”x9”. This will not affect the overall width, the tire size is the driving force. The determining factor should be the tire size, when researching tires there should be specs for the recommended rim width. The offset however is crucial: for 8.5” it should be 30mm-35mm, for 9” it should be ~15mm. Sticking to these guidelines you could (from what I hear, but I can not confirm nor deny) go as large as 33”x12.5”.

As mentioned before, I am running 275/55-20 (32”x11”). I personally would not recommend larger than the 32” or much larger than the 11”… I could see some issues.

305/50-20 (32”x12”) would be the max, but I would recommend a safer route since you plan on buying new tires when you buy a lift.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Would be great to see your pics batboy. You mentioned the 275/55/20 tires. If I'm not mistaken, there's a guy where I work who just bought the new F150 2WD Lariat and I walked over to look at the tire size. It was that exact size, only stock setup, not after market.
As far as the "off-set", please bare with me as I have less than a laymans knowledge on this stuff. I'm learnng. You'll have to explain what you mean when you decribe a "crucial" being: "for 8.5” it should be 30mm-35mm, for 9” it should be ~15mm." What should be these mm's?? And how do I know it? Also, is there a conversion tire chart anywhere that tells you that a "275" is equal to a "32"? Or "50" is equal to a 12" footprint?
I appreciate your info.

Quick Reply: 2WD Rim/Tire/Lift question