Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 Speedometer Problem (Only works with lights on)

Old 06-03-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2008 Speedometer Problem (Only works with lights on)

So I have a weird problem with my speedometer. My speedometer will not work unless I drive with my lights on for 15 to 20 mintutes.

The needle just sits at the bottom and flutters but never moves. All my other gauges work perfectly fine. Dealer said I need a new speedometer but I don't under stand why it works after I have my lights turned on for awhile.

I have already done the cluster sweep and it did not work properly as it would get stuck and not return. Also tried to deaden the entire system and that did not fix it either.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First mistake dealer...Dont ever go to the dealer again especially on here if you want our help. I would buy a used cluster online ebay or a pick a part and have it installed by myself or a shop. It's super easy to replace if your smart enough
Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 246 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 044x4F150
First mistake dealer...Dont ever go to the dealer again especially on here if you want our help.
WTF??????

No, I don't work for a dealership either but I and most others on here will offer assistance whether you go to a dealership or not. Offer advice for his issue and don't speak for the rest of us that are really here to help.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
WTF?????? No, I don't work for a dealership either but I and most others on here will offer assistance whether you go to a dealership or not. Offer advice for his issue and don't speak for the rest of us that are really here to help.
My thoughts exactly^^^
Old 06-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Petersen114
So I have a weird problem with my speedometer. My speedometer will not work unless I drive with my lights on for 15 to 20 mintutes.

The needle just sits at the bottom and flutters but never moves. All my other gauges work perfectly fine. Dealer said I need a new speedometer but I don't under stand why it works after I have my lights turned on for awhile.

I have already done the cluster sweep and it did not work properly as it would get stuck and not return. Also tried to deaden the entire system and that did not fix it either.

Any thoughts?
The electronics of the gauge are attached to a pcb(printed circuit board). Turning on your lights on activates a power line that runs many places on that board to light up the leds. Seems your PCB is going out and turning on the lights is enabling power to make it to the speedo where it's not getting it immediately during start up.

Your best bet is to get a fully functional cluster and swap it out. The mileage will be off, but you can get that reset pretty cheap at an autobody shop.
They are used to replacing gauge clusters. Or leave it and just note the difference if you ever sell your truck.

Your other option is to peel your cluster apart and look for the trace that is failing.

Good Luck!!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just found this on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-FO...-/250954583461

Contact the person and see if they have seen/can fix your issue. $50 is cheap!!!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
WTF??????

No, I don't work for a dealership either but I and most others on here will offer assistance whether you go to a dealership or not. Offer advice for his issue and don't speak for the rest of us that are really here to help.

Uhhhh..I was totally kidding get a grip. Take my advice and do what I said originally. That will narrow down some issues. Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by 044x4F150
First mistake dealer...Dont ever go to the dealer again especially on here if you want our help. I would buy a used cluster online ebay or a pick a part and have it installed by myself or a shop. It's super easy to replace if your smart enough
Lmao...funny dude ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Speedometer Problem (Only works with lights on)