Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 OEM nav add video?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2008 OEM nav add video?

I am trying to find where I can add video input to a 2008 Lincoln MKX sat nav. I want to add a backup cam to it. YES, I know they did not come OE. I saw where someone named chicagopartsound did it. I know it can be done. I just don't want to spend a fortune to do it. BTW this was an ebay purchase of the head unit for my 2007 F-150.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The factory navigation units made for Ford in 2004 to 2009 were made by Pioneer. When sold as a Pioneer, they were the AVIC model.

Yes, your factory Navigation unit can be re-programmed to include a backup camera (there are other options too) if it has sync. There are companies that advertise this service on eBay, or just simple Google "Ford Factory navigation reprogramming". It would net you this result (one of several):

http://navrepair.com/products/ford-programming-service

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-04-2015 at 06:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dhonnoll (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Thanks Bucko, It came from a Lincoln MKX which I don't know if Sync is turned on in it and I still need the module or if it is integraded but I DO know that in 2008 Sync was standard on Lincoln MKX. So this weekend when LKQ has their 50% off sale Do I need to look for a Sync module and harness? My head unit has not come in yet so I don't know if sync is built into it or not. and Yes it is a Pioneer AVIC I did see that on the sticker for my head unit that is coming in.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dhonnoll
Thanks Bucko, It came from a Lincoln MKX which I don't know if Sync is turned on in it and I still need the module or if it is integraded but I DO know that in 2008 Sync was standard on Lincoln MKX. So this weekend when LKQ has their 50% off sale Do I need to look for a Sync module and harness? My head unit has not come in yet so I don't know if sync is built into it or not. and Yes it is a Pioneer AVIC I did see that on the sticker for my head unit that is coming in.
I looked into a similar upgrade for my truck, and while the factory Nav unit was Sync-capable, it required a separate Sync module. In my situation (08 F150, stock 6-disc), I needed to have an OEM nav unit reprogrammed for my vehicle, steering wheel control adapter, Sync module and cables, GPS antenna and cable, and a few other peripherals that I can't remember. It started to get pricey. Someone had the complete set-up available in the 'for sale' section, but I snoozed and loozed LOL. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
dhonnoll (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I have a more complete write up in the stereo/Audio forum of this site. As to the GPS antenna, you can get these all day long off of eBay for 35 bucks; just be sure it has the "pink" connector as used on the Pioneer AVIC/Ford OEM Navigation units.
The reflash to turn on other options is pricy at just under 200 more bucks; I did not go this route, as I only wanted GPS and a decent radio that fit as a stock type unit.

Don't forget about the neat diagnostic feature these units have; press the "3" and "6" at the same time, and the unit enters a diag mode. The first diag is a speaker check, and is LOUD! After you accept that, you can check other items, such as the GPS satelite strength/locked in satelites. This was usefull for me, as I ended up putting the GPS antenna on a 3 inch by 3 inch plate under the dash to help draw more satelites and strength quicker.
If you Google "2006 Ford F150 Navigation" or "2007 Ford F150 Navigation", you'll locate a free PDF copy of the Navigation manual.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 AM

So tomorrow I will be sifting through the salvate Ford Lincoln Mercuries to try to find the sync upgrade kit then.

Quick Reply: 2008 OEM nav add video?