Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 F150 Remote Start / Electrical issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 F150 Remote Start / Electrical issue.

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I was unable to find it anywhere.

I have a 2008 F150 5.4L Triton. It has the factory remote start with the separate remote that has just one button it to start the truck. Recently it has started where when I tried to start it remotely it would go through all the motions then would only crank the engine for a quick second and then die. In addition to that, every time I hit my brake pedal now all my dash lights come on, as well as the running lights on my headlights (the turn signal bulbs). I can hear the lights clicking on from the passenger side of the dash. I've looked and if I turn my headlights on, all my brake lights, including the 3rd brake light stays on and gets slightly brighter when i push the pedal. Fast forward about a week later, and I'm still having the issue with the lights. Now when I try to use the remote start, it beeps like its going to start then after a couple seconds it beeps 7 times.

At this point, I dont know if these two issues are separate or related. I would assume its a wiring issue, but I don't even know where to start looking. I've checked all the fuses and they are okay.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I had a hard time understanding but Ill give it a shot. 1st it has a FACTORY remote start with a separate remote??? That seems weird? The remote start uses the brakes as an engine kill switch if the key is not in the ignition. So check all your brake lights to see if any are burnt out? Or are any LED? Check the wires running from the remote start module to the brake switch located under the brake pedal. If those are all good then it could be a bad brake switch or possibly a bad hood latch switch if it has one correctly installed.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Sorry, I know it's kind of confusing. Yes, I have a factory remote start, I believe it was put in after the vehicle was purchased by the first owner. The key fob for it is seperate, but had the Ford emblem on it. I do have LED taillights, but everything is working with them and I've had them on the vehicle for about 4 years now without issue.

I guess, it may be easier to look at is at me having to separate issues, I'm just not sure if they are related or not.

1) 7 beeps when I try to use the remote start.

2) When I press my brake pedal my interior dashboard lights as well as my front running lights turn on and turn off when I let go of the pedal.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:01 PM

I'd bet they are the same issues. The 7 beeps is letting you know there is a fault somewhere. Have you always had LED brake lights? Do you have cruise control? Does it work? The reason I ask is the truck uses the voltage returning from the brake lights when the brake is pressed to 1) kill the cruise control 2) kill the engine when remote started and the brake is pressed but no key is present. LEDs change the amount of voltage that returns through the circuit and the truck does not read it properly. It thinks the bulb is burnt out. You have either a problem with the brake circuit or the hood latch circuit most likely.
The following users liked this post:
michlamb (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:21 PM

I really appreciate the help. I have not tried the cruise control, but I will try it here in about an hour and report back. The truck did not come with LED taillights, but they've been on there for over 4 years and this issue just started 2 weeks ago. I just had no idea where to even start looking.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Ok no problem. If they've been on there for 4 years then I doubt they are the issue. You can check the wires running from the remote start module to the brake controller switch located behind the pedal. Look for loose connections ect and report back.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 PM

A quick search does not show anything about 7 beeps. 6 beeps indicate valet mode. Are you sure its 7? Heres what I found about valet mode activation. http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=11195
Old 01-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been waiting for the weather to be decent enough for me to be outside. I found the remote start system box under the dash. From what I can see everything appears to be intact.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM

What about cruise control functionality? Is there a hood latch switch?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 PM

I removed the bottom part of the dash under the steering wheel (knee bolster?) And then the metal piece under that. There is also a 10 amp in line fuse on a purple wire as well as a relay for something. The fuse was okay but not sure if maybe the relay is bad? Or even part of the brake system at all?