Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 f150 mushy brake feel

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 f150 mushy brake feel

I complained to the dealer that the brake pedal felt mushy.. I could hit the brake pedal with foot and it would stop but didnt seem or feel secure. When I would hit it again in succession then it would stop on a dime. Dealer told me there was lots of ocmplaints about that but that was "just the way it was or is". Wondering if anyone else brakes feels like that. Kinda almost like just a little bit of air is in the line.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 AM

My 2005 with 25k is the same way. Our f150superduty has excellent brakes, the petal difference is night and day. My pads are in good shape, i dont know if its just the difference between the 250 and 150 or if theres somehing wrong.. Theres no leaks so no air is getting in.....
Old 03-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had new brakes put on my truck all around a few months ago and they have always felt mushy to an extant...idk why its like that on the 150...but its one of those things you get used to and stop noticing eventually..until you go and drive another car and lock up the brakes b/c ur used to your 150's...lol
Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by F-1Fizzy
i had new brakes put on my truck all around a few months ago and they have always felt mushy to an extant...idk why its like that on the 150...but its one of those things you get used to and stop noticing eventually..until you go and drive another car and lock up the brakes b/c ur used to your 150's...lol

man thats funny... but true.. yeah it isnt a life threatening situation but just different. But I do appreciate the input because if it was just me then the dealer and I needed to have a discussion. a friend of mine has a superduty f250 diesel and says his rotors are bigger than mine but my callipers would eat his up... so you figure it would be better but..oh well..
Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that the pedal is way too mushy. One interesting thing I can add though, I took mine to the dealer a while back and complained and they did something that lasted about two days that made it feel great. Then it was mushy again. I read on another forum something about this and suggested to them what I wanted looked at. You might want to look around harder for a solution because I know it's out there. There's something that can be adjusted but I can't remember what it is now. Seems like it had to do with the the master cylinder.

One other thing about our calipers and pistons that I found interesting is that the piston is not metal. I have a mechanic who is really good and drives an '06 Z06 Vette that he works on constantly. He pointed out the fact that the brake caliper pistons were not metal and that if I wanted brakes that didn't warp constantly that I could get a caliper kit with steel pistons that would fix it. I switched to ceramic pads and turned the rotors and they've lasted a little longer, but I still do not like the F150 brakes at all. I will say that they make my '79 5.0 Capri brakes look like go cart brakes though. Ford brakes have always been the weak link in my opinion. So I was actually surprised by how well ours work, even though mine were already warped at 15k and I don't stop quickly or anything.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by NGM
Mine stops on a dime and gives 9 cents change.
So does mine, however compared to the super duty, the brakes suck.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a 2007 Expedition which basicly has the same mechanicals also had problems with a soft brake pedal a few months after he picked it up. It turned out to be the power brake booster. It was replaced under warranty and the service manager told him he has changed quite a few of them in Expeditions and F-150's. Just something to check out.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 AM
PM me to run your VIN

Where I work, we had the ABS HCU cmputer bled and also had the system manually bled to solve a mushy pedal issue. This can work for those who had brakes done recently or nothing done at all.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:21 AM

I can get used to it but what bothers me the most is that i can hit the brake pedal and start slowing down...let off of brake and hit it agian and it stops very quick... not unnerving quick but like i feel like it should in the first place...

Quick Reply: 2008 f150 mushy brake feel