Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 5.4 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question 2008 5.4 Issues

Hello All,

I have been using the search, button and reading the stickys about the Cam Phaser problems. I bought a 2008 F150 Lariat with 5.4L motor and around 90,000km just shy of 60,000 miles. Regardless, I didn't think it would have many problems as a buddys 2005 motor has 340,000kms with no issues. However after driving it for a while, everything sounds normal at idle and cruising. The problem is when you are on a slight incline idling, and you tap the gas to move forward, after the rpm drops its like its cammed up, full advanced, it shakes and ticks a bit and cant right itself until you floor the gas. When you do floor it it has the "dieseling" sound or pinging. Turning the motor off and back on fixes it as well. After that the truck sounds and runs completley normal. Sometimes it doesnt do it but under the right spot it does, say for instance backing up to hook up to a trailer. I even tried to crawl up a little hill and could hear ticking around the 1000rpm mark, but only for a few brief seconds like its just about to fall into its "cammed up state" (for lack of a better term). All of the other issues happen around the 500-600 rpm mark.

After reading what over guys suggested, I changed the oil to a synthetic 5w20, I didnt trust the dealership in telling me they changed it. I also took off the throttle body and cleaned it.

Ive only had the truck for a little over a 1000km and its aggravating to have this gremlin that potentially could be a huge issue. Some threads state that only the older motors 04-05 had that issue with the cam phasers. But idk I havent found a definitive answer yet. Everyone just complains of the loud noise from the valvetrain wereas I don't have that until it gets "stuck" in its little tiffy.

Sorry for the long post guys, just wondering if anybody else out there has had similar issues and knows the fix, warranty is running out and I'm going on a 1400km roadtrip friday. If this is gonna be a deal breaker I need to know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cammed-up tiff

I have exactly that problem with my 08 5.4L. You described it perfectly and under the same load circumstances. I can't figure it out and I've heard a lot of rhetoric on the matter. This is the first time anyone has suggested cleaning the throttle body, though. Makes perfect sense to me. One suggestion I got that is just a good idea, is to remove your (4) Oxygen sensors and soak them in liquid oven cleaner overnight, give em a light scrub and re-install them. They cost $100 each to replace and this service gives them another lifespan.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

My 08 has been doing this sense 30K or so miles...maybe once or twice a week...floor it and it clears up...cleaned TB and MAF twice now and still does it...no clue but, I do not think it's CAM phasers..dealer could never get it to do it...no CEL either. Thought it was my Edge programmer...it did it returned to stock also.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.4 Issues