Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition "Engine Failsale Mode" Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Default 2007 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition "Engine Failsale Mode" Problems

Hello,

I have been having some major issues with my F150 and was hoping someone here knew a little something about my problem.

Lets get started,

At the beginning of last week, on the way home from work, I hit the accelerator to pass someone up. Right when the engine reved, the truck immediately lost all power and the info box read "Engine Failsafe mode". I pulled over to the shoulder and let the truck rest awhile. When I press the gas to go, I went a stunning 2-3 MPH. So I shut off the truck and called my mechanic buddy. He, and many people on here suggested, that this happens when the truck's throttle body sensor is dirty or just needs replacing. He said it could happen again soon, or never again. So, started the engine back up, and it took awhile. It kinda struggled to get it to turn over. After that, ran great for about 10 min. Rinsed and repeated and finally got home going 30 the whole way. Got the truck to my local Ford Dealer the next day. They first reprogrammed the throttle body, no success. They then ordered a whole new body, put it in, reprogrammed, I paid the $400, and it did it again. They thought they received a bad body so they ordered another and it still did it. Got refunded and now they don't know whats wrong with it. They told me they have been on the phone with the main Ford Dealership aswell as other dealers to see if they knew a solution. After a week, they still don't know anything. I get a call today and they said that while test driving, they uncovered that when the truck does engage failsafe mode, that the voltages skyrocket. They now suspect some sort of shortage it causing it to engage but they are still clueless as to where it is occurring, of if that is even the actual problem. I don't know, and obviously neither do they.

I would like to say that I have not modified this truck in anyway besides 5 stick-on doorhandle covers. Just replaced tires, and brakes. I also would like to say that I do run the truck like a truck is suppose to be ran. I keep up on my brake tags, oil changes, and other maintenance.

So, the reason I posted this novel (sorry), is to see if anyone, anywhere, knew why this is happening. Has anyone had this problem before? Anything will help me. All replies will be very, very appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
-Vert
Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Does anyone have any idea what can be causing the problem? The dealership, aswell as myself, are at a lost.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What code is it getting?? Ford should be able to diagnose it with a computer, right? I had 2005 F150 Screw with a 5.4 and did the same thing and the dealer changed the Throttle body and the truck ran better than when it was new. It had about 30,000 miles on it at the time.How many miles on your ride?? the high voltage could be the alternator's regulator going full field..
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is the PCM the high voltage is from something shorted in the circuit board that controls the throttle body circuit
I hope this helps u
Old 03-10-2022, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D.WRECK
Hello,

I have been having some major issues with my F150 and was hoping someone here knew a little something about my problem.

Lets get started,

At the beginning of last week, on the way home from work, I hit the accelerator to pass someone up. Right when the engine reved, the truck immediately lost all power and the info box read "Engine Failsafe mode". I pulled over to the shoulder and let the truck rest awhile. When I press the gas to go, I went a stunning 2-3 MPH. So I shut off the truck and called my mechanic buddy. He, and many people on here suggested, that this happens when the truck's throttle body sensor is dirty or just needs replacing. He said it could happen again soon, or never again. So, started the engine back up, and it took awhile. It kinda struggled to get it to turn over. After that, ran great for about 10 min. Rinsed and repeated and finally got home going 30 the whole way. Got the truck to my local Ford Dealer the next day. They first reprogrammed the throttle body, no success. They then ordered a whole new body, put it in, reprogrammed, I paid the $400, and it did it again. They thought they received a bad body so they ordered another and it still did it. Got refunded and now they don't know whats wrong with it. They told me they have been on the phone with the main Ford Dealership aswell as other dealers to see if they knew a solution. After a week, they still don't know anything. I get a call today and they said that while test driving, they uncovered that when the truck does engage failsafe mode, that the voltages skyrocket. They now suspect some sort of shortage it causing it to engage but they are still clueless as to where it is occurring, of if that is even the actual problem. I don't know, and obviously neither do they.

I would like to say that I have not modified this truck in anyway besides 5 stick-on doorhandle covers. Just replaced tires, and brakes. I also would like to say that I do run the truck like a truck is suppose to be ran. I keep up on my brake tags, oil changes, and other maintenance.

So, the reason I posted this novel (sorry), is to see if anyone, anywhere, knew why this is happening. Has anyone had this problem before? Anything will help me. All replies will be very, very appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
-Vert
what did u figure out mine is doinh the same thing?
Old 03-11-2022, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by gdjflores
what did u figure out mine is doinh the same thing?
This was a very long time ago. But IIRC they ended up replacing the ECU/PCM and I proceeded to drive the truck for another 2-3 years without issues.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition "Engine Failsale Mode" Problems