Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 f150 5.4 misfire/buckinghatd shifting/etc FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2007 f150 5.4 misfire/buckinghatd shifting/etc FIXED!

Picked up my '07 18 months ago, second hand, me being the third owner. 240k on it when I bought it, 275k now. For the past 16 months nothing but problems. Misfires constantly, hard shifting, bucking at low speeds etc etc. We've all heard this before. Changed plugs, changed COPs, cleaned throttle body, changed fuel filter, etc etc. Tried everything but everyone else has tried on here. It would work for a couple days then come back.

Last weekend I was under the truck and noticed a hole in the tail pipe and the muffler starting to rust on the CAT BACK EXHAUST. Capitalized for a reason.

Today I called in to get the exhaust replaced from the cats back. $1200.00 to get the same thing. Lucky for me I could t afford it. I went with a single exhaust just like factory.

Picked up the truck this afternoon and every single problem I had IS GONE!! I couldn't believe it. Near as we can tell the exhaust the previous owner had put in wasn't providing enough back pressure (so I'm told) and very well could have been causing all the previously mentioned problems. I'm serious when I say this, it's like driving a brand new truck. It's never performed so well at any speed let alone low rpm, low speed. It shifts smooth and not a single misfire. I used to get 10-12 misfires just driving home. Tonight.....zero.

I'm not saying this is a solution for everyone who has a misfire issue or low speed low rpm problems but it certainly fixed all of my issues. It's fixed it so well even the funbuster (aka wife) wants to drive it now. And she hated that truck. Hated. Now she loves it. Go figure.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Young (04-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nyles68
Picked up my '07 18 months ago, second hand, me being the third owner. 240k on it when I bought it, 275k now. For the past 16 months nothing but problems. Misfires constantly, hard shifting, bucking at low speeds etc etc. We've all heard this before. Changed plugs, changed COPs, cleaned throttle body, changed fuel filter, etc etc. Tried everything but everyone else has tried on here. It would work for a couple days then come back.

Last weekend I was under the truck and noticed a hole in the tail pipe and the muffler starting to rust on the CAT BACK EXHAUST. Capitalized for a reason.

Today I called in to get the exhaust replaced from the cats back. $1200.00 to get the same thing. Lucky for me I could t afford it. I went with a single exhaust just like factory.

Picked up the truck this afternoon and every single problem I had IS GONE!! I couldn't believe it. Near as we can tell the exhaust the previous owner had put in wasn't providing enough back pressure (so I'm told) and very well could have been causing all the previously mentioned problems. I'm serious when I say this, it's like driving a brand new truck. It's never performed so well at any speed let alone low rpm, low speed. It shifts smooth and not a single misfire. I used to get 10-12 misfires just driving home. Tonight.....zero.

I'm not saying this is a solution for everyone who has a misfire issue or low speed low rpm problems but it certainly fixed all of my issues. It's fixed it so well even the funbuster (aka wife) wants to drive it now. And she hated that truck. Hated. Now she loves it. Go figure.
As a guy coming from a diesel, I've notice a lot of people have incorrect mindsets when it comes to performance mods like this. On a diesel truck you can stuff more air in it as long as it can come out the other side, you'll make more power. For a LARGELY STOCK gas motor, sometimes stock is as good as it gets. With some minor timing adjustments with a tuner, I'm a fan of leaving it the way it came stock. I've just found it performs better. I did a CAI and had nothing but issues and soon as I went back to stock all was well. Maybe this is just me but thats my experience.

Now my 7.3 was a different story...Open filter, upgraded turbo, 4" straight pipe exhaust...but thats a whole different animal.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

What exhaust was on the truck, and what did you put back on it for $1200?!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by powerranger262
What exhaust was on the truck, and what did you put back on it for $1200?!
It sounds like he had an eBay bolt on system before, and he had a stock style system custom bent.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Original exhaust which I didn't install was some dual cat back system. To replace it like for like was $1500 CDN installed. Went with a SISO oem type. $452 CDN installed. Checked again this morning when it's cold and damp. This is always the worst time for misfires and bucking problems. Ran like a champ. No codes no misfires no bucking.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So I should check mine also, it has k&n air filter and a dual exhaust installed and sometimes runs like ****, but mine sounds like a problem the bad vct solenoid would do, but never know....thx
Old 03-27-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

^ I would clean all the crap off your MAF that the K&N put on it. Should help.

Quick Reply: 2007 f150 5.4 misfire/buckinghatd shifting/etc FIXED!