Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 5.4L Replaced Cam Phasers, what next? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2007 5.4L Replaced Cam Phasers, what next? Help please

Hi there!

I've spent hours reading the ultimate guide here for the cam phaser issue, would like to give my specific vehicle history and ask for advise before I go into the next phase.....

I bought a 2007 F150 5.4L with 150K miles on it for $10K. Truck was in good shape but I knew I would eventually need to put money into it. Truck ran great for several thousand miles.

At around 155K miles I had an issue where it was running really bad then stopped. Then started running fine again. I had my mobile mechanic take a look and he said it was a cam phaser. Not wanting to break down on the road, I had him replace them with OEM Ford parts. Truck ran good, then after awhile I would have the dieseling at idle, and/or ticking sounds. The rough dieseling at idle happens when I put it in reverse or just am trying to park. Only happens about 10% of the time but it's embarrassing and annoying when it happens. Normal driving the truck runs like a champ.

I read about using Motorcraft oil and filters to help get rid of the ticking noise, tried it, no change.

Looking for advise on my next steps so I can try and figure out a game plan and what the cost might be. I really like the truck, but if I'm going to put another $2K into the motor along with $1,500 in tires and an unknown amount of $$ for a front end shake nobody can seem to figure out, I'm wondering if it's worth it. I need something reliable to pull a 5,000 lb boat and don't want to spend money only to finally find out I should have just bought a newer truck and put that money towards the down payment.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-26-2014, 03:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you check for build up while it was torn apart? Did they change the vct (2x)? If there is allot of build up that would cause the ticking to come right back same with vct there are newer versions of the vct also. If changing the vct out doesn't fix it or its already been done the only for sure way to not get any ticking is a lock out kit which requires a tune to run correctly. I'm dealing with the ticking myself and thinking replacement along with lock outs.

Oh ya did they check the chains and tensioners and all that too?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely suggest ordering the VCT solenoids. I believe on the 07's and up the valve covers have to come off to replace them but I may be incorrect. I changed my tensioners, chains, guides, and phasers on my old 05 and it still ran bad. After $100 for new solenoids it ran perfect. Also I really hope he did the tensioners, guides, and chains. Without replacing these parts your phasers may go bad again.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback guys! The only thing they did was the phasers, sounds like I know my next steps! I'll start checking into the tensioners, chains, guides and solenoids. Is everyone happy with the OEM parts or is there something better out there?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't imagine any issues with OE parts. As far as what I did, I used Dorman phasers and the timing set came from a local advanced auto parts. All seemed well but I sold the truck not many miles after the repairs because I bought a 2006.

Quick Reply: 2007 5.4L Replaced Cam Phasers, what next? Help please