Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 Fx4 5.4l passenger exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 Fx4 5.4l passenger exhaust manifold

I recently replaced the passenger side exhaust manifold. I searched and could not find a lot of detailed info on the job. So I thought I would post what I found out to possibly help someone else out if they get in a bind.

1. jack truck up and remove tire, disconnect battery, pb blast everything
2. removed 4 bolts attaching skid plate
3. fender liner was a couple of push fasteners, three bolts holding front brace and a few tiny bolts, two are hidden behind fender flare trim. I left trim in place and pulled it back by hand to get the tiny bolts out
4. disconnect two bolts holding manifold to exhaust. I had to use a wobble extension to get the upper one off.
5.remove the lower starter bolt, three wires and additional nut
6. remove passenger side motor mount nuts 13/16" deep socket, long extension, breaker bar
7. jack motor up enough to see upper starter bolt through the wheel well. In my opinion the best way to jack this motor is with a bottle jack (~$20). I placed the jack on a cinder block and stood a short piece of wood up on the jack resting between the oil pan and brake lines and pushing on the flange to the oil pan against two of the bolts holding the pan on. I used a 3/4" thick piece of wood about 3-4" wide and 6" long.
8. remove visible upper starter bolt, i had a helper place the socket on the bolt and I worked the wrench from below
9. remove manifold nuts. back four are easy. two from the top, two from the bottom. the front ones required me to put one hand in from the front and other from the back and I think i used 1/2" deep socket. 3 of my studs came out with nuts attached. the remainder ones I cut a little off with a dremel to make clearance to remove the manifold. I also cut the studs off the manifold that connect the manifold to exhuast with a dremel.
10. wiggle manifold out through the hole where the starter was or through wheel well.
11. thread two nuts on remaning studs and back studs out with 1/2" wrench. throw away old studs and nuts
12. use copper wire brush and brake cleaner to clean up head, coat gaskets, manifold ,head with copper gasket maker if you prefer.
13. I am not sure if you can wiggle the new manifold in with any studs in place. I did not pre install any studs. I would try it if i had to do it again. I had a helper hold the gasket in place and thread in studs by hand while I held manifold in place.

This is the first time I have messed with anything engine related on a truck. It took me over 10 hrs to figure out. The keys are pb blaster, jacking the engine up to gain visual on upper starter and gain access to manifold nuts. I am pretty sure I could do this again in half the time knowing what I do now.

Last edited by 1 Stock Rex; 10-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Fx4 5.4l passenger exhaust manifold