Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 ford f-150 stx 4.2L V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 ford f-150 stx 4.2L V6

i have 2006 4.2L V6 5speed manual and i race against an s-10 and kicked my *** and i wanna know wat i need to make my truck gain more HP and torque or do i need to swap to V8
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by mex760
i have 2006 4.2L V6 5speed manual and i race against an s-10 and kicked my *** and i wanna know wat i need to make my truck gain more HP and torque or do i need to swap to V8
When I read posts like this, my blood boils. I'm sure this "racing" has taken place on public streets, which is the most assinine, stupid, and thoughtless thing a driver can do besides driving drunk.
I'll go ahead and assume you don't race on the streets; street racing is illegal in Florida (and should be in every state). My next door niehbor lost their 10 year old daughter to two stupid teenage kids who thought it was cool to street race. One of these teeage drivers lost control of his car and plowed this inocent girl and her bicycle into the side of a parked car. You would not have wanted to see the parents watching as the medics peeled their daughter off of the car; my wife collapsed to the driveway when she got home from work and saw what had happened; it took weeks for her to get that sight out of her thoughts.....I hope the two drivers spend the rest of their lives rotting in jail. But I digress from the topic.

Forget racing with the v6; the truck is heavy, and the 4.2 is not going to push it to "race" capability, even with the limited aftermarket parts you can get for the 4.2. There's a K&N semi cold air intake available, exhaust kits, and tuners, but they are not going to give any significant HP/TQ gains to make the 4.2 any quicker than it is now.

Swapping is not a smart option either, as the time, labor, and parts are extensive and expensive to do this swap. The 5 speed was not offered on the V8's and while I'll assume the 4.6 would not tear it up, I'm not sure about the 5.4, which is what I'd also assume you'd be after, as the 4.6 V8 is not a "race" engine in the heavy Ford F150's. You'd need the engine, PCM, and much more to do a swap. It can be done, but you'd be best to have the donor truck side by side with your truck to do it right, rather than travel back and forth to the bone yards getting the various pieces you forgot.

Easiest way is to drop the racing; save lives that have to share the road with insane, idiodic, and poor thinking folks who think that public streets are ok for racing. If your smart enough to use proper race facilities, then trade your truck for one with a 5.4.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-12-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
When I read posts like this, my blood boils. I'm sure this "racing" has taken place on public streets, which is the most assinine, stupid, and thoughtless thing a driver can do besides driving drunk.
I'll go ahead and assume you don't race on the streets; street racing is illegal in Florida (and should be in every state). My next door niehbor lost their 10 year old daughter to two stupid teenage kids who thought it was cool to street race. One of these teeage drivers lost control of his car and plowed this inocent girl and her bicycle into the side of a parked car. You would not have wanted to see the parents watching as the medics peeled their daughter off of the car; my wife collapsed to the driveway when she got home from work and saw what had happened; it took weeks for her to get that sight out of her thoughts.....I hope the two drivers spend the rest of their lives rotting in jail. But I digress from the topic.

Forget racing with the v6; the truck is heavy, and the 4.2 is not going to push it to "race" capability, even with the limited aftermarket parts you can get for the 4.2. There's a K&N semi cold air intake available, exhaust kits, and tuners, but they are not going to give any significant HP/TQ gains to make the 4.2 any quicker than it is now.

Swapping is not a smart option either, as the time, labor, and parts are extensive and expensive to do this swap. The 5 speed was not offered on the V8's and while I'll assume the 4.6 would not tear it up, I'm not sure about the 5.4, which is what I'd also assume you'd be after, as the 4.6 V8 is not a "race" engine in the heavy Ford F150's. You'd need the engine, PCM, and much more to do a swap. It can be done, but you'd be best to have the donor truck side by side with your truck to do it right, rather than travel back and forth to the bone yards getting the various pieces you forgot.

Easiest way is to drop the racing; save lives that have to share the road with insane, idiodic, and poor thinking folks who think that public streets are ok for racing. If your smart enough to use proper race facilities, then trade your truck for one with a 5.4.
fk i feel bad for that little girl... I never street raced because well first, none of my cars really could "beat" another car do to the fact they are as aerodynamic as a brick... and second, there was a kid in my town racing on a 2 lane road, passing his friend almost hit an oncoming car and smashed right into a thick tree and got killed... not safe at all to race, no matter if its on town streets, or highways... if you go to a track, its "safer" but still extremely dangerous. You are going at a speed that if you accidently turn while going straight, you will probably lose control of the car and roll it
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Yeah bud, I have the same truck and let me tell you that it is not meant for racing. And yes, if you are stupid enough to keep racing on the streets I sure hope that nobody else gets hurt, but you might deserve it with your recklessness. If you want to race, buy a mustang, and get the hell off of the road. Prayers sent for that little girls parents.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

To those who may have read my response and felt I did not address the question without my strong opinion on racing in the streets, I'm sorry. While it is not known for sure if the poster was racing in the streets, I made an assumption, and that would be against the rules of this forum. If that's the case, I apoligize to all that were offended. I'll refrain from such comments and posts in the future, and address the topic/question at hand.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bucko, i do not think you assumed anything. I too believe he was racing on the street. Having drove a wrecker for 3 years awhile back, i have seen the devestation that reckless driving can cause. And street racing is classified as reckless driving in all states. If anyone wants to race, take it to the track.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 PM

i dont street race i race on the track illegal street racing pisses me off im a deputy sheriff and most of the time when im off duty i head to the race track....i just have k&n filter and flowmasters
Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 PM

I don't think there is any need to apologize Bucko, your just being a good guy.

Mex, you could look into a smaller truck, or if you like F-150s check out the 2008 Foose edition.. I test drove one and though about buying it because it was a steel at $34,000 CDN. If you want to keep your truck..I guess you could look for a supercharger and have the gearing programmed for racing..
Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

custom turbo, but you will need to mod the lower end to take the abuse. or if it's only on the track, nitrous. but, the rearend would hold up to 5k rpm drops for long, so a rearend upgrade should be addressed to. nor will the clutch
Old 09-13-2009, 03:01 AM

im been calling companies that makes superchargers and turbos for a 4.2L V6 but i haven't found any luck i been thinking getting the rear different from a Fx2 and i talk to a mechanic if i wanna have a good launch get a high performance clutch

Quick Reply: 2006 ford f-150 stx 4.2L V6