Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 f150 start up rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 2006 f150 start up rattle

Hello, recently bought a 2006 f150 with 130k on it now... and lately I've had this start up rattle when it sits for a extended period of time it only last 1-3 seconds. never any issues afterwords here is a perfect example
at the 2:44 mark.

is it safe to say it's timing chain/Tensioner

if it is.. i mine as well do phasers and VCT solenoids correct?

If so are theses all the parts I need to complete this job?

Engine : Timing Set
CLOYES Part # 90391SB Includes: Crank Sprocket, Chain (2), Tensioner (2), Tensioner Arm (2), Guide (2)

Engine : Crankshaft Seal
FEL-PRO Part # TCS46117

Engine : Variable Timing Solenoid 2x
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # L53001 TechSmart

Engine : Camshaft Phaser / Variable Timing Sprocket 2x
DORMAN Part # 917250 {#3L3E6C524FA, 3R2Z6A257DA

is dorman phasers good? or should i go motorcraft.

and is this everything needed to complete the job?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

If you are getting the tick for a few seconds and then it stops, then it sounds like your tensioners are shot and need to be replaced. Yes, change everything while in there. Skip the Dorman and Cloyes parts and go FORD OEM for all parts. I changed the lash adjusters and followers while I was in there, kinda regret not changing the oil pump at the same time. Ebay has some OEM phasers and timing component kits for about $590 and the Lash Adjusters and Followers for about $200. Worth every penny for the kits.
Make sure that you read the thread "Final Guide on ..." for the info on the procedures for the change. First 2 or 3 pages should be enough but ask any questions that you have, plenty of us have done this job and got it right the first time. Take your time.
Tom
Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by vintageman
If you are getting the tick for a few seconds and then it stops, then it sounds like your tensioners are shot and need to be replaced. Yes, change everything while in there. Skip the Dorman and Cloyes parts and go FORD OEM for all parts. I changed the lash adjusters and followers while I was in there, kinda regret not changing the oil pump at the same time. Ebay has some OEM phasers and timing component kits for about $590 and the Lash Adjusters and Followers for about $200. Worth every penny for the kits.
Make sure that you read the thread "Final Guide on ..." for the info on the procedures for the change. First 2 or 3 pages should be enough but ask any questions that you have, plenty of us have done this job and got it right the first time. Take your time.
Tom
how do i tell if they're ford OEM on ebay? they can say OEM but be like dorman
Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 PM

Gotta read the description real good and ask them questions, I think mine showed up in actual Ford boxes. In the description, it will have part numbers for the parts that you should receive, check to make sure that they are indeed FORD part numbers. Also, something that I forgot to mention, what type of oil filter are you running? The actual ford oil filter has a drainback valve in it to help with start up. Most of the cheaper ones do not and it take a few seconds to build up the oil in the filter. If you are not using a ford filter, it may be worth changing your oil filter/oil and see if that helps.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by vintageman
Gotta read the description real good and ask them questions, I think mine showed up in actual Ford boxes. In the description, it will have part numbers for the parts that you should receive, check to make sure that they are indeed FORD part numbers. Also, something that I forgot to mention, what type of oil filter are you running? The actual ford oil filter has a drainback valve in it to help with start up. Most of the cheaper ones do not and it take a few seconds to build up the oil in the filter. If you are not using a ford filter, it may be worth changing your oil filter/oil and see if that helps.
Oil filter FL820-s filter motorcraft with 7 quarts Motorcraft 5w-20 OEM Syn Blend
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 PM

Good on the filter then. Time to start looking for parts now, the most expensive route is going to be the dealership.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been hearing this noise every now and then the past month or so and I had all the timing components replaced with lockouts maybe 18 months ago. Is this something I need to be concerned about and take it back to the shop that did the work?

Quick Reply: 2006 f150 start up rattle