Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F150 5.4 misfire HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2006 F150 5.4 misfire HELP!!

I know this has been rehashed over and over but there are so many suggested fixes on this issue, so I will get as specific as I can to hopefully avoid getting into throwing a lot of parts and money into this.

-I had a severe engine hesitation, jerking sensation at a certain speed RPM especially when in over drive. No engine service light came in at all, so no codes to detect.
-I changed the plugs out with motorcraft plugs and the problem went away.
-Ok, now after that I put in the chevron techron fuel cleaner with my next fill up and it ran great.
- The next time I filled up with gas I started having misfire issues, this was not the same problem I had before I installed the new plugs, a #4 misfire code was detected.
- After troubleshooting I installed a new plug in #4 and the code went away and ran fine until my next tank fill and then immediately after I filled up the misfire came back again except this time it was #5 code.

I want to stress that both times it happened it was immediately after I filled up with gas. After reading dozens of potential fixes for a misfire I am focusing on fuel evap issue, fuel pressure sensor or cat issue. Looking for answers.

Thank you

Last edited by wdgold; 12-04-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wdgold
I know this has been rehashed over and over but there are so many suggested fixes on this issue, so I will get as specific as I can to hopefully avoid getting into throwing a lot of parts and money into this.

-I had a severe engine hesitation, jerking sensation at a certain speed RPM especially when in over drive. No engine service light came in at all, so no codes to detect.
-I changed the plugs out with motorcraft plugs and the problem went away.
-Ok, now after that I put in the chevron techron fuel cleaner with my next fill up and it ran great.
- The next time I filled up with gas I started having misfire issues, this was not the same problem I had before I installed the new plugs, a #4 misfire code was detected.
- After troubleshooting I installed a new plug in #4 and the code went away and ran fine until my next tank fill and then immediately after I filled up the misfire came back again except this time it was #5 code.

I want to stress that both times it happened it was immediately after I filled up with gas. After reading dozens of potential fixes for a misfire I am focusing on fuel evap issue, fuel pressure sensor or cat issue. Looking for answers.

Thank you
Possible faulty coil?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM

When I changed plugs I inspected and tested all the coils and they looked really good. When I was dealing with #4 misfire I actually swapped coil pack with another cylinder and the problem din not follow the coil.

Last edited by wdgold; 12-04-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

When you did the plugs did you replace all the boots? I can't imagine it's fuel evap or a cat issue since it isn't staying with the same cylinder. Especially since #4 and #5 are on different banks.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by tareed94
When you did the plugs did you replace all the boots? I can't imagine it's fuel evap or a cat issue since it isn't staying with the same cylinder. Especially since #4 and #5 are on different banks.
No I did not, didn't think you could change the boots w/o buying the coil. Whats really throwing me off with this whole thing is the fact it happens right after fuel fill up.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by wdgold
No I did not, didn't think you could change the boots w/o buying the coil. Whats really throwing me off with this whole thing is the fact it happens right after fuel fill up.
I'd suggest changing all of the boots, it'll take a while since the truck is all put back together but I think it's only like $20. They're not very expensive, just make sure to use dielectric grease in them. I'm curious if it's just a coincidence that it's right after a fuel fill up. I can't think of anything that would be affected by adding fuel that wouldn't act up in other conditions.

Edit: I was way off on the price as they're about $10 each... http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3758&ppt=C0334

Last edited by tareed94; 12-04-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by tareed94
I'd suggest changing all of the boots, it'll take a while since the truck is all put back together but I think it's only like $20. They're not very expensive, just make sure to use dielectric grease in them. I'm curious if it's just a coincidence that it's right after a fuel fill up. I can't think of anything that would be affected by adding fuel that wouldn't act up in other conditions.

Exactly my thought, I will change the boots and see what happens.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Don't just change the boots. Make sure to change the springs too. You can order a set of 8 boots and springs online for around $30
Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by connorfx4
Don't just change the boots. Make sure to change the springs too. You can order a set of 8 boots and springs online for around $30
The Motorcraft boots come with springs if I remember correctly.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:23 PM
dsa

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2005 5.4 and basically had the same problem. It gave me a fit trying to determine the cause of the misfire. Finally I broke down and replaced the coil packs. I got them on ebay and I think I paid like 56 dollars for all 8, brand new. Never had the problem since. Still to this day don't know which cylinder was misfiring and why. But its been about 4 months and no misfires.

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 5.4 misfire HELP!!