Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F150 - 3rd Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2006 F150 - 3rd Anniversary

Today is the 3yr anniversary (12/2/06) of when I purchased my 2006 F150 new. Below are the items that have gone wrong or needed fixing during this time. Otherwise it had 23miles on it at purchase (including test drive) and is currently just under 27K miles. Have an ESP that runs me for 6yrs/75K miles, but hoping I don't have to use it.
  • Replace blue oval on grille
  • Replace message center bulb
  • Replace driver door window switch pad
  • Replace passenger front door speaker
  • 4 services to get stock PowerCode Alarm (Audiovox) system fixed
  • Repaint passenger doors (dealer scratched front during replacement of speaker & grocery buggy ding in rear)
  • Performed TSB 06-19-3 (Hesitation on acceleration on downshift)
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 PM
WHO DEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I just bought my first Ford and so i am new to this forum. I have an 06 F150 Screw 5.4L 4x4 with 3.73 rear, 44k mi. I came across your post and noticed that some of the things you replaced on your 06 also need fixed on mine. My blue oval on the grill is bubbling and peeling, The message center or odometer light is out, which i did not notice at test drive and i also have a hesitation when gearing down from acceleration at low speeds. when starting to climb small hill with a bend or coming of an exit ramp and accelerating to merge on to 45 mph traffic. The hesitation does not happen all the time but it does worry me a bit, i would say it happens between 2nd and 3rd gear. You said you just had a TSB performed to fix it, what is that? My truck was a certified pre-owned and i also purchased the preventative plus extended warranty to have pretty much bumber to bumper coverage until i hit 100k so i assume these two things would be covered. I am very excited about my truck, although not so excited about the mpg, which i have noticed in my first two weeks of ownership. I drive mostly highway and like a grandma so it kind of stings a bit. Sorry to be so long winded, but any thoughts or tips about thes problems or just my f150 in general would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Justin

First off, congrats on the new truck! Post us up some pics when you get a chance.

Here's a link to the majority of TSB's Ford has issued on 2006 F150s. Of course some may apply, some may not. Also, the 2nd link is the specific TSB I had performed. Cured my issue immediately.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.p...y-2006/d-F-150

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=06-19-3

The message center bulb & grille emblem only took the dealer 10 minutes each to replace. And the window switch is a common problem, and is also quickly replaced.

Now mpgs, I've found lies squarely on your right foot. I average 14.5mpgs city, which is about where my '02 F150 5.4L Scab Lariat FX4 3.55 was. Highway, my truck brings home 17-19, sometimes 20 mpgs, depending on traffic and if I'm going up/down the mtns outside Denver. Also, coasting to a stop helps greatly, making sure air pressure is correct in your tires. Also, try to run over 2K rpms as little as possible, the truck gets thirsty at that point. With your setup, at 70-75mph on the highway, you'll be running right about 2K, so scale it back a little bit to maybe 65mph and you'll notice the mpgs jump up considerably.

Hope this helps. And of course, welcome to the forum Big Blue!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The grille emblem on my '06 is also starting to discolor a bit. If it gets worse Ill replace it.

I also have a problem occasionally with the driver's side window switch. Sometimes it doesnt want to make the window go up.

I just dropped it off tonight for a recall on the brake booster vacuum hose.

I get between 14 and 15 mpg most of the time, mostly highway. Never better than 15.8. Mine's a Supercab 4x4 with the 5.4 and 3.55's.

I didnt buy mine new- I let somebody else take the depreciation hit and picked it up 3 years old with 48k for $20k less than the original window sticker and $7k below book value.

Ive had it since February and put over 15k miles on it with no issues at all.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by PJB
The grille emblem on my '06 is also starting to discolor a bit. If it gets worse Ill replace it.
This seems to be a common theme, As well as the black pealing off the fender/tailgate F150 emblems, but mine haven't started pealing yet.
Originally Posted by PJB
I also have a problem occasionally with the driver's side window switch. Sometimes it doesnt want to make the window go up.
Mine had issues raising the passenger rear window. Would raise all other windows just fine, except that one. This is a very common problem with the 04-08 F150s.
Originally Posted by PJB
I just dropped it off tonight for a recall on the brake booster vacuum hose.
Wow, this recall has been out for a while. I'm surprised the original owner didn't have it done, or that it wasn't done prior to resale. Oh well, at least you're getting it taken care of though.
Originally Posted by PJB
I didnt buy mine new- I let somebody else take the depreciation hit and picked it up 3 years old with 48k for $20k less than the original window sticker and $7k below book value.
Yeah, that's what I used to do. But after a bad experience with buying a used Explorer, that either was lemon like or the previous owner simply beat to crap, I decided to only buy new from then on. I'll take the financial hit.
Originally Posted by PJB
Ive had it since February and put over 15k miles on it with no issues at all.
Holy crap! 15K is less than a year? Guess that sound like me back in the day when I bought a Ranger and put 40K miles on in 2yrs.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue
Hey, I just bought my first Ford and so i am new to this forum. I have an 06 F150 Screw 5.4L 4x4 with 3.73 rear, 44k mi. I came across your post and noticed that some of the things you replaced on your 06 also need fixed on mine. My blue oval on the grill is bubbling and peeling, The message center or odometer light is out, which i did not notice at test drive and i also have a hesitation when gearing down from acceleration at low speeds. when starting to climb small hill with a bend or coming of an exit ramp and accelerating to merge on to 45 mph traffic. The hesitation does not happen all the time but it does worry me a bit, i would say it happens between 2nd and 3rd gear. You said you just had a TSB performed to fix it, what is that? My truck was a certified pre-owned and i also purchased the preventative plus extended warranty to have pretty much bumber to bumper coverage until i hit 100k so i assume these two things would be covered. I am very excited about my truck, although not so excited about the mpg, which i have noticed in my first two weeks of ownership. I drive mostly highway and like a grandma so it kind of stings a bit. Sorry to be so long winded, but any thoughts or tips about thes problems or just my f150 in general would be greatly appreciated.
My '06 has the same hesitation. How hard is it to fix this?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by mOdD
My '06 has the same hesitation. How hard is it to fix this?
If it's the exact hesitation I had, the TSB cured it. All the service tech does is check diagnostic trouble codes and reprograms the powertrain control module. They have it listed as 0.4 hours labor.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by MHC-F150
If it's the exact hesitation I had, the TSB cured it. All the service tech does is check diagnostic trouble codes and reprograms the powertrain control module. They have it listed as 0.4 hours labor.
thanks very much for the help mhc
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by mOdD
thanks very much for the help mhc
No problem and any time my F150 brother!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC-F150
This seems to be a common theme, As well as the black pealing off the fender/tailgate F150 emblems, but mine haven't started pealing yet.

Mine had issues raising the passenger rear window. Would raise all other windows just fine, except that one. This is a very common problem with the 04-08 F150s.

Wow, this recall has been out for a while. I'm surprised the original owner didn't have it done, or that it wasn't done prior to resale. Oh well, at least you're getting it taken care of though.

Yeah, that's what I used to do. But after a bad experience with buying a used Explorer, that either was lemon like or the previous owner simply beat to crap, I decided to only buy new from then on. I'll take the financial hit.

Holy crap! 15K is less than a year? Guess that sound like me back in the day when I bought a Ranger and put 40K miles on in 2yrs.
Ive gotten two notices about that recall and just kept putting it off. I didnt buy the truck from a Ford dealer so thats probably why it wasnt done before.

15-20k a year is normal for me. I traded in my '05 Hyundai Elantra I bought new 5/9/05 with 71k on it in February. It had 19 miles when I bought it. Alot of my driving is back and forth to work, about 45 miles roundtrip.

Ive only had one new car and it was great but I wanted a truck so I got the F150. I had to take a loss of $1500 on the trade in and roll that over into the loan but with the deal I got on the truck I couldnt really complain but still only getting $3k for a 4 year old car sucks.

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 - 3rd Anniversary