Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 f-150 fx4 rust specs on paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 f-150 fx4 rust specs on paint?

i was doing a clay bar and waxing my truck today and noticed down towards the bottom of the truck bumpers and bottoms of doors there are lots of little tiny rust specs they are like the size of a ant or smaller like little holes…. are these going to get worse what do i do ??
Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you sure you are not getting them confused for rail dust?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DLeGiT
i was doing a clay bar and waxing my truck today and noticed down towards the bottom of the truck bumpers and bottoms of doors there are lots of little tiny rust specs they are like the size of a ant or smaller like little holes…. are these going to get worse what do i do ??
Do what I'm gonna do. Sand it til the rust is gone, then repaint it with the closest matching paint you can find.
Do it quick before it spreads. Rust is said to be cancer in the vehicle world. Last march I had a few specs of rust on my rear bumper, now it looks like my truck had an allergic reaction and had a rash on the corners of my bumper.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is rail dust I read a little about it these are like little holes in the paint the look rust color like pin holes it's really Werid
Old 04-14-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

If it were rail dust a good claying should remove it
Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

if you sand it out and paint over it, Its a good idea to get something that will convert the oxidation to something else before your paint... because just because you can't see the rust doesn't mean it's all gone.

I know this is likely not something you want to here, but if you found it rust in the sheet metal and it's not in confined to a spot where you got a chip or scrape in the paint, there is likely rust starting in tons of places and it is going to continue to get worse.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
if you sand it out and paint over it, Its a good idea to get something that will convert the oxidation to something else before your paint... because just because you can't see the rust doesn't mean it's all gone. I know this is likely not something you want to here, but if you found it rust in the sheet metal and it's not in confined to a spot where you got a chip or scrape in the paint, there is likely rust starting in tons of places and it is going to continue to get worse.
All of my rust on my front bumper is only where I have paint chips due to rocks. My rear bumpers a whole new story.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by NamedHerOksana
All of my rust on my front bumper is only where I have paint chips due to rocks. My rear bumpers a whole new story.
I'm not sure my comments about it being in a lot of other locations would be as true if you've only seen it on your bumpers and primarily with chips, but the OP mentioned his doors and if their aren't chips there, i'd be nervous where else it's starting. do you have chrome or painted bumpers? I know chrome is actually really thin and not the awesome corrosion resistant coating it's made out to be, but every ding and nick in my chrome ones, rust was very quick to follow.... I know they aren't everyone's taste but I just got my Iron cross front and rear delivered today and i'm pretty excited.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
I'm not sure my comments about it being in a lot of other locations would be as true if you've only seen it on your bumpers and primarily with chips, but the OP mentioned his doors and if their aren't chips there, i'd be nervous where else it's starting. do you have chrome or painted bumpers? I know chrome is actually really thin and not the awesome corrosion resistant coating it's made out to be, but every ding and nick in my chrome ones, rust was very quick to follow.... I know they aren't everyone's taste but I just got my Iron cross front and rear delivered today and i'm pretty excited.
I love the iron cross bumpers, but I unfortunately don't have that kind of money to throw into my truck at the moment. I have the painted bumpers, but I've also noticed a few spots on my doors. I hear rocks getting thrown up into my doors and I'm actually surprised there aren't more then there are now.
The following users liked this post:
uzikaduzi (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

OP..

You could do a very light wetsand over the rust and then give the paint a good compound and polish with a machine polisher when your done.. You won't even be able to tell you did it. If it is just rusted metal IN the paint..
If its the panel that's rusting then the same trick applies. But you will need to give it a quick shot if paint before you go through with the compound and polish..
Or just sand them out and hand the finish work over to a body shop.. A touch up spray can be done cheaply if you shop around, and work with your body guy on scheduling.... Hint: My body shop loves me, because I bring all the guys pizza and beer. Same with the local meineke when I'm in a bind and need mechanical work done ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
johnny_tucson (04-14-2014)

Quick Reply: 2006 f-150 fx4 rust specs on paint?