Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F-150 5.4L Lariat - Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 F-150 5.4L Lariat - Starting Problems

Hi, my name is CT and I'm new to the site. I have a 2006 F-150 5.4L Super Crew 4 x4 Lariat with a little over 110K on it. Starting this past Thursday, my truck would not start (would not even try to turnover). This has happened once or twice in the past year but it always started on the second try. I tried it three or four times and then let it sit for about twenty minutes and it turned over and ran fine. I got home and it would not turn over again. Below are a list of items I have replaced/cleaned or tested in the last few months to try and fix the starting issues that I am currently having and the stalling problems that got corrected a few weeks back:

New FPDM
New Spark Plugs
Cleaned Air Filter
New Fuel Filter
Battery (Bought This on Friday) - 12.68V
Tested Starter/Solenoid Twice (Checked This on Saturday)
Cleaned the Throttle Bottle
New Catalytic Converters for the Low Bank on Both Sides
Changed the Oil Last Week
Flushed Radiator and Brake Lines (I know this doesn't have to do with starting the truck but figured I would include it in the list)

Does anyone have familiarity with this problem? If so, does anyone know what my solution (or at least the next thing I should try) is? When testing for connectivity, where would the places be I should check after the battery and starter?

Could it be the Ignition Switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by CTASBC; 03-04-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Left out the question about the ignition switch?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Try a different key, it might not be reading your main key properly anymore
its a theft protection thing
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Thanks. I found something this morning about a TSB 06-19-14 for the starter pigtail terminal. I thought about trying that.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM

I spoke to my mechanic over the phone and he said:

It could still be the starter, with the amperage being higher when it is on the tester and it not be loaded with any forces, the test could have been incorrect.

It could be the wiring to the starter.

It could be the ignition switch.

I will have to take it by his shop to get a firm answer.

I just wish Ford would do a better a job about correcting the issues with starting, stalling (FPDM), etc., when it comes to their trucks. That is the least they could do for how much money most people put into their pockets when they buy a truck.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 AM

It was my starter. I replaced it yesterday morning and it started right up. It would have been nice if the tester at the parts store would have been correct.
The following users liked this post:
CB's Chariot (03-06-2013)

Quick Reply: 2006 F-150 5.4L Lariat - Starting Problems