Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F-150 5.4 Engine Misfire/Runs Rough when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F-150 5.4 Engine Misfire/Runs Rough when warm

Hello Everyone, I've seen several other topics about this issue. Just recently my 2006 F-150 Lariat is Bucking/Misfiring and throwing multiple codes such as cam position indicator/misfire and a few others. My dad and I went in and changed the cam position sensors, VCT solenoids, knock sensor, cam phasers, plugs, coils and when the truck is warm it will normally idle fine, but when I have it in neutral and take it up to around 3000rpm, we get a pretty loud fluterring sound, which once you left off the gas, normally it will just kill it? Changing the phasers made it sound better and thought we had it fixed, until after about 15 minutes running, same issue.

I've been reading about guys switching oils to 5-30 or even 15-40, but sounds like that is only masking the issue, but we are at a loss of what else to do. Luckily, we've done all the work ourselves as my father runs a body shop with good knowledge on vehicles, but he's even at a loss. We thought about changing the timing chain and tensioners next, but some guys have said that they've done that and still have the same issues? Just curious to see if anyone else might have any options?

We've always been big Ford Fans and I really love the truck, but this is just a slap in the face really. Would like to keep the truck, but not sure whether to try and fix much more of just get a used/new engine.

Thank you everyone for your help!
Old 07-31-2021, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainT16
Hello Everyone, I've seen several other topics about this issue. Just recently my 2006 F-150 Lariat is Bucking/Misfiring and throwing multiple codes such as cam position indicator/misfire and a few others. My dad and I went in and changed the cam position sensors, VCT solenoids, knock sensor, cam phasers, plugs, coils and when the truck is warm it will normally idle fine, but when I have it in neutral and take it up to around 3000rpm, we get a pretty loud fluterring sound, which once you left off the gas, normally it will just kill it? Changing the phasers made it sound better and thought we had it fixed, until after about 15 minutes running, same issue.

I've been reading about guys switching oils to 5-30 or even 15-40, but sounds like that is only masking the issue, but we are at a loss of what else to do. Luckily, we've done all the work ourselves as my father runs a body shop with good knowledge on vehicles, but he's even at a loss. We thought about changing the timing chain and tensioners next, but some guys have said that they've done that and still have the same issues? Just curious to see if anyone else might have any options?

We've always been big Ford Fans and I really love the truck, but this is just a slap in the face really. Would like to keep the truck, but not sure whether to try and fix much more of just get a used/new engine.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Try your crank position sensor. All your timing runs off that. If that doesn't do it I would suggest a timing job.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:24 AM

Received 808 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappappy
Try your crank position sensor. All your timing runs off that. If that doesn't do it I would suggest a timing job.
You just responded to a 6 year old post...
Old 08-02-2021, 04:34 PM

You just took the time to type a response to a reply on a 6 year old post. Must be one of those people that love to point out someone's mistakes but overlook your own.

Quick Reply: 2006 F-150 5.4 Engine Misfire/Runs Rough when warm