Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 f-150 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 f-150 5.4

Hey everybody.

I'm new to these forums, but I'm not new to fords.

I recently(4-5 months) ago, bought a 2006 F-150 with the 5.4L. I loved the truck when I saw it on the lot, and I still love it now. But the only problem is, the damn 5.4L. I'm not trying to tell my life story, I'm looking for some soft of guidance.

About four to five weeks ago, I noticed that it started to make a clicking noise from the bottom of the motor. I'm assuming, just since it's the 5.4, and my experience in the heavy equipment field that it's a knock. The damn thing only has 123k on it, so I'm real worried. I bought it from a dealership, but i'm not sure I got the warranty with it or not. Anything? Should I bring it to the dealership I brought it from and ask them what the hell?

Thanks ya'll.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

If you only got it 4-5 months ago then I would definitely bring it to them to fix
Old 11-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

I definitely agree that the selling dealer should own up to any issues this early in. Do you have an ESA that you purchased with the truck? The knock from the bottom end can also be the notorious phaser knock that these trucks are known for. Look up 5.4 phaser noise on youtube and see if it's a similar sound. Best of luck!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:39 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Complete agreement with both fellow members suggestion. I do notice your initial comment that you refer to it as a "clicking noise".

Originally Posted by twoelper
... I noticed that it started to make a clicking noise from the bottom of the motor. I'm assuming, just since it's the 5.4, and my experience in the heavy equipment field that it's a knock. ...

Thanks ya'll.
These trucks are notorious for its strange noises coming from underneath - especially the right wheel well. Based on your description - and mileage of 123k, it would be no surprise of you are hearing phaser noise or noises. And assuming you didn't get the truck with an ESA - don't be surprised if the dealer tells you that you need a new engine. Don't fall for it. Give us some more detailed information and there is a ton of good help here from experienced members.

BTW. Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

around my parts- anything with over 100K is 30 days at best on the warranty but- it never hurts to swing by the dealer and ask if they can help.

Your right to be concerned about the 5.4 but don't panic just yet. Noises abound and they aren't all terminal. I've experienced so many... some bad like the phasers and timing components others turned out to be just loose rim bolts.

The point is- don't panic...figure out the source of the noise first and then most of us here will help you get through it.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y'all are great. I had an issue at the very beginning when I first bought it.

The check engine light would blink and the truck would vibrate during acceleration, but that seemed to go away. That was during the 30 daygrace period, and the guy at the dealership told me the code for a cam phaser, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue. I'll keep ya'll posted.