Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 XLT 5.4L Triton Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 XLT 5.4L Triton Please help!

Long story short. Working on a friend's 2005 XLT with the 5.4 Triton. 100,000 miles on the truck. Misfire/shudder was the original problem. Plugs and coil packs. Broken plug in #1 cylinder that the Lisle tool couldn't get out. Ended up having to pull the left head. New head gasket, bolts, plugs, COPs, etc. Put the timing chain back on as the old one was (sloppy/loose on the bottom, near the guide and cam sprocket). Truck ran, but poorly, can't remember the code but intermittent signal from cam sensor on that bank. Removed front cover, replaced chain, tensioners, guides. Pulled the VVT solenoids, and the screens were intact and they looked clean, no sludge or debris, etc. Reassembled everything correctly (or so i think).
I lined up all the timing marks as per the write up on this site. I made sure the chains were tight/taut/snug along the non-tensioner side, by rotating the camshaft back slightly, then popping the new tensioners in and holding them that way.
Truck idled much much better, but then threw P0171 P0174 Lean both banks. Removed intake manifold, replaced gasket for it and TB. Double checked all vacuum hoses. Replaced PCV hose, as it had slight leak also. No codes now, but the truck just doesn't seem to have the "throw you back in the seat" power it used to. I'm at a loss. Without codes or anything specific to check.

I've cleaned MAF, cleaned TB, triple checked all vacuum lines and hoses. I've read everything from reflash PCM at dealership to dirty air filter to plugged CAT. I don't want to start throwing money at the truck needlessly, but at the same time, I know there's something not quite right with the way it runs at WOT. Is it possible the timing is now slightly retarded, without throwing a code? Should I have made sure the chains were tight along the non-tensioner side? As I said, when I first removed the motor, original driver's side chain had a lot of slop on the bottom side.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Things to check? Odds it's a plugged CAT?

Last edited by kjingram821; 09-15-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: *forgot detail of timing chain reinstall
Old 09-15-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I would start by disconnecting the exhaust and go for a drive. If the power is restored, then you'll know the cats are clogged. Misfires can ruin a cat.

Quick Reply: 2005 XLT 5.4L Triton Please help!