Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 Stuck in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Stuck in 4WD

My 2005 F-150 is stuck in 4WD but the indicator light says its in 2WD. Any Ideas?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

4 Hi or 4 Low? To shift in or out of 4 Low, you must be in Neutral (not Park), with your foot on the brake, and less than 3 MPH.

If you are stuck in 4 Hi or the above doesn't work to get you out of 4 Low, apply the parking brake. I know it doesn't make much sense, but I've heard more than once that this helps get a truck stuck in 4WD back to 2WD.

Last, put the switch in 2WD and bang lightly on the transfer case motor with a rubber mallet (or very lightly with a hammer).
Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

clogged vent line...
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebennett
My 2005 F-150 is stuck in 4WD but the indicator light says its in 2WD. Any Ideas?
I'm new here so take this with a grain of salt.

There are 2 actuators that fit onto the back of the front hubs.
There are 2 vacuum lines that go down to these actuators.

Normally, vacuum is applied to them which "pulls" them into 2wd.
When you switch to 4wd then vacuum is no longer applied...forcing the car into 4wd.

So when any of this vacuum system or actuators fail (clogged line or the IWE fails) then it will lock into 4wd.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...then-some.html
Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Sheep Dog

The bigger issue is that in order to stay in 4WD, his transfer case is not shifting back to 2WD. The signal for the dash light comes from the transfer case lever position, so he may have bigger problems. If my first suggestions don't work, check the fluid in the transfer case for proper level and make sure it doesn't smell burnt. There are 2 plugs on the transfer case; one fill and one drain. The fluid should be at the bottom of the fill plug.

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 03-10-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah, even when you shift between 2WD and 4WD there's two disconnection points: IWE's and the Transfer case. I would think your transfer case isn't shifting if that's the case.

I also usually use the neutral trick do go in/out of 4L. I find park is tricky to get it to shift (it likes a happy spot). I've also found that on mine shifting in and out of 4WD in general, if there's too much tension on the driveline it may not shift out. So I'm not sure how far you've moved your truck since shifting out. Was it just in the driveway? If so, take it out and turn a bit, see if it loosens up. I drove through an entire equipment yard and mine wouldn't shift out. It only happened to me once that way but it was winter and a few years ago. Mine's been pretty normal since.

Last edited by homer; 03-10-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Sheep Dog

Originally Posted by homer
Yeah, even when you shift between 2WD and 4WD there's two disconnection points: IWE's and the Transfer case. I would think your transfer case isn't shifting if that's the case.

I also usually use the neutral trick do go in/out of 4L. I find park is tricky to get it to shift (it likes a happy spot). I've also found that on mine shifting in and out of 4WD in general, if there's too much tension on the driveline it may not shift out. So I'm not sure how far you've moved your truck since shifting out. Was it just in the driveway? If so, take it out and turn a bit, see if it loosens up. I drove through an entire equipment yard and mine wouldn't shift out. It only happened to me once that way but it was winter and a few years ago. Mine's been pretty normal since.
Actually, it won't shift into or out of 4L in Park. It must be in Neutral.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM

I know for sure mine has shifted in Park. Mine is definitely picky about when/where it's in park. honestly, I've done it in Park a few times. In fact, my smartass brother-in-law did it to me from the passenger seat while I got out of the truck to see if I'd notice (and yes I did, unbelieveable torque accelerating to 50km/h - I wasn't impressed). The one thing I can think of is I do use the ebrake (yeah yeah, I know, it can freeze) and I never have any pressure on the driveline. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

However !!!!!! If you read the owners manual, it 100% agree's with what you're saying VTX, it says use Neutral (NOT Park). The Service Manual also states this (which I've also attached). I think it's better to just use neutral and it's easier anyways. Honestly , I know I've done it in Park. I don't want to give out false information though so that's why I thought I better clarify the manual states use neutral.
Attached Images   

Last edited by homer; 03-14-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Sheep Dog

Originally Posted by homer
I know for sure mine has shifted in Park. Mine is definitely picky about when/where it's in park. honestly, I've done it in Park a few times. In fact, my smartass brother-in-law did it to me from the passenger seat while I got out of the truck to see if I'd notice (and yes I did, unbelieveable torque accelerating to 50km/h - I wasn't impressed). The one thing I can think of is I do use the ebrake (yeah yeah, I know, it can freeze) and I never have any pressure on the driveline. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

However !!!!!! If you read the owners manual, it 100% agree's with what you're saying VTX, it says use Neutral (NOT Park). The Service Manual also states this (which I've also attached). I think it's better to just use neutral and it's easier anyways. Honestly , I know I've done it in Park. I don't want to give out false information though so that's why I thought I better clarify the manual states use neutral.
If yours shifts in park, there's something wrong with it. Not saying I doubt you, it's just that it's not supposed to do that.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:04 AM

Hey VTX, I *must* have been wrong! I went out and staged my truck in different positions with the e-brake on, and it will NOT shift to 4LO in park. My brother-in-law must have shifted into neutral (and thinking now, he probably did it from the passenger side). Also, I must have done it subconsciously lol. Fact is, it *must* be in neutral and I'm one to own up to that. My apologies! I usually try to ensure I'm 100% correct before I state that but the fact is I wasn't. It has to be in neutral!

Quick Reply: 2005 Stuck in 4WD