Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 power window issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 power window issue.

The windows won't move at all using the drivers door selector OR the individual door buttons. I tried a new drivers door cluster to no avail. I was having issues with just the right rear window not wanting to go up but used that doors switch and it raised it. I checked the fuses / breaker that relate to this area and also have the moon roof and back glass under that breaker. All these items work so, I ruled out the breaker as well. Everything else on the door panel works fine like the mirror adjust and lock button.

Of course there isn't any damn codes for this so, I was wondering if anyone has encountered this same ordeal. I find it hard to believe all the window motors went at the same time. I tried moving the wire harness repeatedly with the new switch to see if there might be a bad connection possibly but still nothing good.

Mysteriously the drivers window went up when I tried the old switch again but the others fail to operate. I disconnected the battery as well to see if I had any luck there as well. Not a chance.

Damn headache here, any ideas?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Did you check inside the boot between the door and the cab body, the wires run through it and they are notorious for breaking and loosing window or other control from the drivers side.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by vintageman
Did you check inside the boot between the door and the cab body, the wires run through it and they are notorious for breaking and loosing window or other control from the drivers side.
We're going to check tomorrow in that area. I made 2 jumpers out of paper clips for power and neg in each plug. Connected ground to the one jumper and 12v to the other and made the windows go up.

Thanks for the response as well and I'll post the findings and what we did in that drivers door boot area harness tomorrow!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:01 PM

Default Same with passenger window

Hello, my 2004 Supercab XLT won't lower the passenger window. Other three work just fine. Let me know..thanks!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Snappy
We're going to check tomorrow in that area. I made 2 jumpers out of paper clips for power and neg in each plug. Connected ground to the one jumper and 12v to the other and made the windows go up.
I have a rechargeable battery from one of my cordless tools that i connect a couple wires on to, I use that to test the window motors to see if they go up and down. Great for when I go to a salvage yard for a window motor or regulator. Insert the wires from the battery into the motor plug, window motor engages, then I reverse the wires at the plug and check to see if it works in the opposite direction.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Some guy

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Pull the switch box out, flip it over, grab each of its wires individually and shove it firmly into its place inside the plug. They like to loosen up and lose connection.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

What vintageman said. Wires in boot between door cut pinched and cut on these truck, very common. Happened to mine. Easy fix
Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Post Window manual doc & wiring diagram

@Uncle Snappy
Sounds a little to me like the brushes in a window motor may be about wore out and flaky. Have you "wacked" ths S@*it out of it with the switch pressed?

Anyhow - I hate working on electrical stuff without all the info I can scrounge up. Here is the Window Section and the wiring diagram for windows from my Ford Factory Service Manual. Hope it - in conjunction with the above good suggestions - helps sort out the problem for you AND @HarryK

Good Luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F150-windows.pdf (3.80 MB, 249 views)
File Type: pdf
F150-window-wiring.pdf (169.8 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by F150Torqued; 07-16-2016 at 07:04 PM. Reason: my typical spelling 'foobars'
The following users liked this post:
HarryK (07-19-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

If the dome light dims when you push the window switch, that tells you there is a good circuit. The problem then is either the motor or regulator. That is just a shortcut, it is best to check for power and ground at the motor with the switch pressed.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:50 PM

Thanks guys will try it this week after yard work

Quick Reply: 2005 power window issue.