Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 Lariat 5.4L COP change out

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 Lariat 5.4L COP change out

Hello. Newbie to this forum but, wanted to share what I've went through with my truck.

The skip, bump, hesitation and start, bump pulling a grade, ac on and skip, trans not shifting down when supposed to, shuddering at an idle were all issues I was encountering. I connected the Verus Pro and found out I had a misfire on cyl #8.

I had recently replaced the plugs and had maybe 20K on them when this popped up. After changing out the plug and 2 different COP's OEM and Advanced Auto brands it stopped for a day a back at it again. Misfire #8.

Long story short I removed all the COP's and replaced them with Accel COP's. They were on special from Summit for $188.89 for 8!
I changed them out and man what a difference they made. All the listed issues are gone. Make sure you put the dielectric grease on the COP's boots and at the boot top at the COP housing. Avoid the moisture issue at all costs!

I tested it with the AC on, pulling a hill AC on, starting quicker, no hesitation at the jump, no sputtering sound when I floored it, No bump, skip or misfire code present. Runs like a scalded ape with 146K on it now.

I will say the crummy ethanol in gas doesn't help idling issues and water in the gas can give you a crummy idle because my truck didn't like the el cheapo gas station gas. BP or Shell is the way to go. Add an additive occasionally to displace and clean the injectors of the crud / gum.

I will also include that doing a BG induction service to yours will get that funk out of the intake and combustion area. Help those high thread plugs out by freeing them from carbon buildup.

The COP change out took about an hour to do at home and really wasn't as bad as most post but, the plugs weren't removed either. I still could've got that done in time as long as no issues arose from them. To add, I have huge hands so, it can be done. Positioning yourself to reach them is the key here.

Hope this helps out someone with the dreaded issues these stock COP's love to hand out. I have a 350 mile trip coming up soon so, we'll see how it performs on the mileage side too. I'll report back on results after I run them a bit. Good luck! :-O)
The following users liked this post:
varmint2 (06-07-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Actually, unless there is a lot of water, A LOT, then the ethanol in gas will soak it up and it won't cause driveability issues. That's probably the only good thing ethanol does.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesyarbrough
Thanks for sharing.

Your very welcome, stay tuned for updates on the new super coil results.

Quick Reply: 2005 Lariat 5.4L COP change out