Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 fx4 over heating issue 😐😔

Old 11-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 fx4 over heating issue 😐😔

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I got a 05 fx4 flareside with 5.4 (212241.6 km) I got an over hearing issue while idling mostly. What would cause this/fix been battling this for a while. Would it be old coolant? Heater core? Not purged/ air in the line? Any help would be greatly approcated. Thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

It could be a number of things. With the age and mileage (or rather kilometerage), personally I would flush the coolant, then go ahead and replace the water pump and thermostat. They are not expensive. The hardest part is flushing it properly.
If that's too messy, or you just don't want to fool with it, then after replacing the WP, and T-stat, then fill with water and take it straight to have a flush a done. I'm assuming you're in Canada, so don't leave just water in there if it's going to get cold.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:28 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,563 Likes on 6,189 Posts

Pretty much the only things it could be is, thermostat, water pump, coolant or clogged radiator. You say you have been battling it for a while, what fixes have you tried?
Old 11-11-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
It could be a number of things. With the age and mileage (or rather kilometerage), personally I would flush the coolant, then go ahead and replace the water pump and thermostat. They are not expensive. The hardest part is flushing it properly.
If that's too messy, or you just don't want to fool with it, then after replacing the WP, and T-stat, then fill with water and take it straight to have a flush a done. I'm assuming you're in Canada, so don't leave just water in there if it's going to get cold.

Yup was thinking that's my option was gonna be to replace the W/P and theromostate and then flush. And yes I'm in Canada and she's starting to get cold now lol so I wanna get it fixed before the snow hits, no worries on putting water in for coolant I'll never will do that the weather here changes to quick lol thanks for the advice buddy
Old 11-11-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
Pretty much the only things it could be is, thermostat, water pump, coolant or clogged radiator. You say you have been battling it for a while, what fixes have you tried?
I tried purging it out a few times and different rad caps thinking it could not be venting out properly. It all happened when I blew a rad line driving ,got it towed to work and got it fixed replaced the coolant purged it out again but now that the cold weather is here she's starting to act up again. So I'm just trying to figure out my options and get it fixed but I didn't want to throw money on parts and not be the right fix and have it all happen again lol
Old 11-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Fan clutch. If it is cooling well while moving, that is my bet.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
Fan clutch. If it is cooling well while moving, that is my bet.
Humm never really thought about that tho thanks bud I'll have to check her all out and see what Excatly the problem is. Got a few things to thinker on and look at now lol
Old 11-11-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 316 Likes on 228 Posts

Second the fan clutch, there are a number of utube vids on doing this safely.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by CKsBAT
Second the fan clutch, there are a number of utube vids on doing this safely.
O believe me YouTube is my friend for stuff like this haha I'll have to put her up on the ramp and check her out
Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Forget the ramps. Open the hood, crank the truck up cold, and see if the fan pulls air through the rad. If the fluid in the clutch leaks out, it won't spin enough to pull air through. You can also test it with the truck OFF. Spin the fan blades by hand. If there is no resistance and it spins free, the clutch is bad.

Here is some good info.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/cooling_fan_clutch.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 fx4 over heating issue 😐😔