Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 Ford F150 STX 4.2L - Transmission Fluid & Filter Change w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Ford F150 STX 4.2L - Transmission Fluid & Filter Change w/ pics

Well, this was my first time ever doing this kind of job so I was nervous. Turns out, it was a piece of cake except for figuring out how to put the new filter in place. I am grateful to this forum as well as Advance Auto Parts for the advice that made it possible. It took me a little over 2 hrs but I think you can do it in 1 hr with my advice.

There are 15 bolts that are all accessible. Have a drain pan ready. I cut a 2"x4" that was high enough to hold one end of the pan in place when I removed the last 1-2 bolts. This is optional but did seem to help a little bit.

Once you have all the bolts removed and have drained the pan, wipe down the edges of the pan and the matching edges on the actual tranny. If you have the hard lifetime gasket, I would reuse that vs. using the one-time use rubber one that probably came with the filter.

SO, HERE'S THE TRICKY PART...WHERE DOES THE FILTER GO AND WHICH WAY? The original filter fell out before I noticed since I was concentrating on getting the fluid into the pan. When I tried to put the filter where I thought it went, IT KEPT FALLING OUT. Turns out, I was in the right place, but the seal from the old filter was still up in the tranny and not allowing the new filter to stay in place. (SEE PICS ATTACHED). I had to remove the old seal with needlenose pliers and a screwdriver before my new filter would fit snug and stay in place.

Once you have the new fliter in place, bolt up the cleaned up pan. To help hold the gasket in place, you may want to buy some gasket sealer. Once the new pan is tightened up, you can refill the tranny with new fluid. It took me about 5 quarts. I would add 4 quarts, then run it through the gears in park with parking brake, check it, add as needed, test drive, and top off. Check dipstick for the next couple of weeks and add as needed. AND YOU ARE DONE!!!
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Ford F150 STX 4.2L - Transmission Fluid & Filter Change w/ pics-old-filter-seal.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
tcruz0004 (08-04-2016)
Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford F150 STX 4.2L - Transmission Fluid & Filter Change w/ pics