Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 Ford F-150 Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ford F-150 Electrical Problem

I have a 2005 F-150. I tried starting it a couple of weeks ago and it would not start. I boosted it and it started fine. Drove it all that day running errands (shutting off and starting several times) with no issues. Parked it, tried starting it again a couple of days latera nd it worked fine. Next day tried starting it and the battery was completely dead again. I brought it to a garage and they did a load test which looked fine.

Thought there may be a current drain so I took one cable off the battery and put the ammeter in series. Showed about 1-10mA at that time, doesn’t seem like a lot?

I am wondering is it possible that there is a current drain (when shut off) that only occurs sometimes? Could this be due to a faulty relay? Anyone else experience anything like this???
Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 AM

Had the same problem with my 04 Lariat......did twice in a 10 month period.....twice the stealer said nothing was wrong....did third time out of warranty....replaced battery....fine since
Old 10-02-2008, 06:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the site, before we condemn the battery make sure the terminals are wire brushed or sanded to ensure the contact areas are clean. Your procedure for measuring current draw is right on, not many people take the time to do this. Of course any relay can stick today and not tomorrow. Its still probably going to be the battery. Thay can act wierd at times. Is that the original?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I agree with your findings that 1-10Ma is not a current drain in that it would drain a good battery; that draw sounds like the normal radio clock power. Using an amp meter as you did is the perfect way to determine if there is something draining the battery.
Another "shade tree" way is to locate the cause (circuit) of the drain is to connect the amp meter as you did, then remove one fuse at a time. When the amp meter reads "0", the last fuse pulled is protecting that circuit; just look up in the owners manual what component(s) that fuse protects.
When I buy used vehicles and have battery issues, I usually start with the aftermarket electricals that were installed by previous owners. It's very rare these days to find any faulty wiring in the factory harnesses, unless they have been tampered with, or spliced into.
I'll wager a beer that in the next couple of months, many batteries will be replaced in the 2004 to 2005 vehicles; they will have reached their life span, and the first cold snap usually gets them (batteries). The plates inside the batteries will contract with the cold weather, and short internally. I plan to replace the battery in my 2005 in November to avoid an inconvienence (stranded at a parking lot), regardless of what the "green eye" on the battery tells me.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM

I'm having the same problem in my 04. Last dec. the truck would sit a couple of days and it would be dead. Blamed the battery so replaced it with a gel cell, no problems till now same issue. Trying to disconnect everthing aftermarket it and let sit.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by js04screw
Trying to disconnect everthing aftermarket it and let sit.
Why not just disconnect the battery and let it set, maybe a little easier since you would only have to unhook one wire.

Anyways, my truck did this too. It kept dying on me every couple of days, finally I jumped it and drove to the dealer. It wouldn't restart after I pulled into the service lane and turned it off. Since it was too dead for them to test they throw in a new battery under warranty The battery was only around 2 years old. The service guy in the quickie lane said when this one fails to replace it with a Optima because the newer Ford batteries aren't that good.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Wiltshire
Welcome to the site, before we condemn the battery make sure the terminals are wire brushed or sanded to ensure the contact areas are clean. Your procedure for measuring current draw is right on, not many people take the time to do this. Of course any relay can stick today and not tomorrow. Its still probably going to be the battery. Thay can act wierd at times. Is that the original?
You are right in saying not to be too quick in condemning the battery.......I forgot to mention that even after disconnecting the battery it would either be dead or barely start the next morning....ford would not cover me for a replacement because it was over three years old and said batteries only last a few years......bs...my 2000 crown vic sits in the same garage with the original battery....quality was better then....maybe their ceo's wern't getting as many million dollar bonuses then
Old 10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djtpl
my 2000 crown vic sits in the same garage with the original battery....quality was better then....maybe their ceo's wern't getting as many million dollar bonuses then
My brother 95 F150 had the original battery in it until a year ago Maybe ford changed suppliers and went with the lowest bidder
Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

__

Last edited by rick8303; 08-22-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 F150 electrical problem

I have a 1999 f150 4x4 and it has a draw on the battery of one (1) amp and it will drain the battery over night so it is hard to start. I found the draw to be coming from the wire that goes over the the fuse box under the hood. I have pulled every fuse from the box under the hood and from the one on the dash and cannot find what is draining the battery. Is there any circuit that does not go through the fuse box or am I missing something???
The following users liked this post:
Hellfire18 (12-26-2019)

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford F-150 Electrical Problem