Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 Transmission Overdrive Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F150 Transmission Overdrive Not Working

Here is a video that describes the problem.

This is a 2005 F-150 4.6l 2wd with 180,000 miles on it. I was gone in Miami for two weeks and my truck was not driven and came back to this problem. My transmission had been whining for about 2 years prior to this but there was no slippage in the transmission. When the truck kicks into overdrive the truck does not accelerate it revs freely and the only way to get it back in gear is to turn the OD off. There is no engine braking in 2 with OD on.

I have had several people tell me that it may only be clogged or something but my question is - if it is clogged then obviously something is breaking inside to make it clog.
I have a quote right now for a rebuild for $1500 with 12mo warranty . Not sure if this is a good deal or not. Thank you.

RIP my budget
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a very similar problem a couple of years ago.
Everything worked fine until it tried to go to overdrive and it felt like power loss as well. I drove it for about a week with overdrive off, keeping it under 55 mph til I could get it in the shop. I really wish I could remember the exact name of the part that broke and had the receipt handy.
Basically what I remember is it was some kind of ring that had broke into a few pieces and was in the pan.
It was actually only around $300!
In highschool that wasn't cheap.
A year later almost exactly a year later, I lost everything but 1st gear. Full rebuild. That was much much more $$$$$
Good for you it just now happened.
I was at like, below 90K miles first time and at 90K when I had full rebuild.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Transmission Overdrive Not Working