Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150, Not Automatic Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F150, Not Automatic Headlights

Started the truck this morning and no automatic headlights. Dash lights were on, parking lights were on, even the fogs will turn on in automatic setting. However, the main headlights will only turn on manually.

I did a search and saw a few posts from over a year ago with no solutions. Has anyone come up with what may be causing this?

Again, headlights work in manual switch setting, but not in automatic setting. All other lights turn on in automatic.

Jon
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Was the sun out? Just messing with ya.

Possibly a bad relay or fuse? Or a problem with the headlight switch itself.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I don't have my Ford shop manuals handy (they're in Texas; I'm in Florida) or I'd check to see where the photo sensor is that detects the daylight/darkness. It may be this device as well as a switch. Since the lights come on "manually", I'd rule out the fuses and relay, as they supply both circuits (auto/manual).
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM

Default Headlights

My 04 FX4 does the same thing. Over a year now. Dealer says the security module (computer) is causing the problem and wanted 450.00 to fix. I turn them on and off manually now.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 AM
steve gonzalez

check out automotive.com or google ford f-150 recalls and thats a common problem with the f-150's certain brands that made the automatic headlight switch i hear that happens to people even while they are driving
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
I don't have my Ford shop manuals handy (they're in Texas; I'm in Florida) or I'd check to see where the photo sensor is that detects the daylight/darkness. It may be this device as well as a switch. Since the lights come on "manually", I'd rule out the fuses and relay, as they supply both circuits (auto/manual).
Sunload/autolamp sensor is on top of the dash near the windsheild driver's side. Looks easy to change out. Just pop the defroster panel and two screws hold it in.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
EarthCrusher

Hey MadMaxed (or anyone else), did you ever resolve your auto-headlight issue? My '04 is doing the exact same thing. One other symptom to add is that my issue is intermittent. Sometimes the head lights come on but then turn on and off while I am driving or or on/off real fast (flicker)

I have a hard time believing it is the switch becuase ever since '04 until just recently, I have always kept the switch in the same positon (auto mode). So its not like I over-worked the switch with hundreds of cycles (rotations)

If it was a relay, I would think that the same thing would happen when the switch is in manual mode and it doesn't.

It's just really odd that it is specific to auto-mode but at the same time it doesn't affect the fog or parking lamps.

I SUSPECT that it is the autolamp sensor or part of that circuit. Perhaps there are 2 photodiodes in the autolamp sensor (1 for fog and parking and a serperate 1 for headlights)...just guessing. That way the chances of both diodes failing at the same time is rare and that all lights won't fail..you know, for safety reasons.

thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Looking at the wiring diagrams, it doesn't look like it's the sunload sensor (the BSM only gets one signal from it), but the signal comes out seperate from the BSM for head and parking lamps. The Autolamp head circuit rejoins the switch head circuit after the BSM. So, unfortunately, I would guess you're issue might be the autolamp headlight relay that is in your BSM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Check and make sure you didnt kick you emergency brake pedal down a bit, if you press the emergency brake i believe it turns off the auto headlights, just a thought.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
BLOWN club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

weird, my truck has the auto headlights and they come on during the day too and wether or not the parking brake is on or off

Quick Reply: 2005 F150, Not Automatic Headlights