Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 Low Oil Pressure, rough running

Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F150 Low Oil Pressure, rough running

I have a 2005 F150 Lariat 4x4, 5.4. Today in stop and go traffic it started running rough (like it fouled a plug or something). About 10 minutes later it started running very rough and the low oil pressure warning came on. I took it right to a service station. They did a manual pressure test and got 0 oil pressure. They say the oil pump usually doesnt fail so think its a bearing issue. Right now my choices are pay $1300 to have the motor pulled apart and hope they find the problem and it doesnt need a complete rebuild. Buy a new (used) motor for $2000 plus installation. Or limp it to a dealership and hope they take it as a trade in. Not sure if it could have happened at a worse time financially so i am hoping maybe someone else had this issue with a simpler resolve.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Ford truck and Stihl saws

sounds like same thing I had. I too thought it was the oil pump. Two things
does it run fine for 20 min then send codes?
Check oil for metal.
This can be a timing issue caused by solenoids or cam phasers. A mechanic told me turning it off resets the cam positioning so it works for a while.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:34 AM

It runs rough immediately after starting it now. Check engine doesn't even come on, just the Low Oil Pressure notification. I didn't even check for codes since it was telling me what was wrong...sort of.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

If its a high mileage engine the $1300 is a tough call because even if a new oil pump fixes the immediate problem and there is no obvious bearing damage, how much longer is it going to run without further issues, possibly brought on by the loss of pressure? Trying to limp it anywhere is nearly a guarantee of engine damage, and no dealer is going to take it as-is for any money to speak of. My 05 is in great shape and has been a trouble free truck. With 99,000 mi. I would probably gamble the $1300 and hope to save it.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:53 AM

Default oil pump

Originally Posted by PerryB
If its a high mileage engine the $1300 is a tough call because even if a new oil pump fixes the immediate problem and there is no obvious bearing damage, how much longer is it going to run without further issues, possibly brought on by the loss of pressure? Trying to limp it anywhere is nearly a guarantee of engine damage, and no dealer is going to take it as-is for any money to speak of. My 05 is in great shape and has been a trouble free truck. With 99,000 mi. I would probably gamble the $1300 and hope to save it.
Yeah I hear you there. Needing an engine really sucks. Being the op said nothing about chain sounds I am not completely sold it's an oil pump. possibly something else w/ timing. However looking back on it If I could have taken my aftermarket stuff off sold it used the money to pay for a band-aid fix and trade it in I would be at the dealer in record time.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:15 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I must be getting old. I remember when $1300 would buy you an engine in a box.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighting Ford
Yeah I hear you there. Needing an engine really sucks. Being the op said nothing about chain sounds I am not completely sold it's an oil pump. possibly something else w/ timing. However looking back on it If I could have taken my aftermarket stuff off sold it used the money to pay for a band-aid fix and trade it in I would be at the dealer in record time.
A timing issue with chains or solenoids, etc won't cause the oil pressure to drop to 0. He's most likely got a problem with either something clogging the sump, oil pump, or a crank thrust bearing issue which is causing most, if not all of his issues.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:06 PM

Default chain

Originally Posted by 07F150Lariat5.4
A timing issue with chains or solenoids, etc won't cause the oil pressure to drop to 0. He's most likely got a problem with either something clogging the sump, oil pump, or a crank thrust bearing issue which is causing most, if not all of his issues.
Yeah it seems like an oil pump but the chain is tightened by the oil pressure so without pressure the chain should be slapping around inside making tons of noise. I'm not saying the pump is not bad but I'm simply saying more than likely you can't just slap an oil pump in and drive another 100,000 mi at this point.

Last edited by firefighting Ford; 06-27-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighting Ford
Yeah it seems like an oil pump but the chain is tightened by the oil pressure so without pressure the chain should be slapping around inside making tons of noise.
While that is true, the OP stated in his original post that he had the oil pressure checked and it had none. It's definitely clogged sump/oil pump/main bearing issue. In some cases if a timing chain guide breaks, it can clog the sump, causing same issue.

But yes, I agree. The damage is most likely too great and probably non-fixable now. The cam journals are probably scored along with the main bearings by now.

Last edited by 07F150Lariat5.4; 06-27-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Low Oil Pressure, rough running