Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 f150 injectors not pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 f150 injectors not pulsing

I have a 2005 F1 50 King Ranch. I recently changed out both cam phasers and afternoon so the truck ran smoother and quieter than ever before.i recentlychanged out the cam phasers a few days later the truck shut down on me while driving at highway speed's the truck will now turn over but will not crank. I have narrowed it down to the injectors are not firing. I have checked all connections,fuses and fuel cut off switch. The check engine light came on but threw no codes. I have ordered a new pcm but it won't be here for a week or so. Just need to know while I'm waiting if there is anything else I can check.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

A faulty cam sensor can cause this. Definetly something to check. If the truck was running before the phaser change, I wouldn't think the pcm is the problem.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:41 PM

I just changed both cam positioning sensors and no change. I have thought about that I may have got the timing off while changing the cam phasers but the way it was running after the change was so smooth it makes me think otherwise. But I could be wrong. The truck has been giving problems for years over lack of power and rough idle and I've changed everything I can think of. The only thing I havent changed is the pcm. The old driver side cam phasers was almost broke inhalf I can't believe it was running at all before I changed them.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

You could also have an issue with your crank sensor. Either the sensor, or the wiring for it.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Have you checked the condition of your FPDM ??
Old 06-29-2015, 10:47 AM

No I haven't. I'm assuming since I have good fuel pressure at the fuel rails that the FP and FPDM are good. But does the FPDM control the fuel injectors in anyway?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by C_isbell
No I haven't. I'm assuming since I have good fuel pressure at the fuel rails that the FP and FPDM are good. But does the FPDM control the fuel injectors in anyway?
The FDPM controls the "on/off" of the fuel pump.

Ford (and many others) went to a single fuel line, and removed the return line and fuel pump regulator. Fuel injection systems used to have two fuel lines; one from the gas tank to the fuel rails (that feed the injectors), and a return line that returned the fuel from the fuel rails back to the gas tank, controlled by the fuel pressure regulator. It was found that two lines increased vapor lock (fuel getting heated in the fuel lines and vaporizing), so they did away with a return line, and kept the single line pressurized and controlled via the FPDM. There's a fuel pressure sensor, and it notifies the PCM/ECU, who in turn "turns off/turns on" the fuel pump by way of the FPDM.

So yes, all this in a direct way effects the pressure to the injectors.

There's also a kill switch located in the passenger side kick panel. If you had no fuel pressure at all, no voltage to the fuel pump, and the FPDM checks out, then this kill switch would be suspect; it kills power to the FPDM, so that no raw fuel could be pumping by the fuel pump if the key were on, or engine running during a roll over type accident.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:22 PM

The fuel pump does kick on and fuel rails pressure up. I just can't get the injectors to pulse. I've replaced cam and crank sensors and checked the fuel switch. Checked all connections and harness from top to bottom. My check engine light is on but no codes.im lost and don't know what else to do except wait for the new pcm and hope that's the problem.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:25 PM

Its got new plugs,all new cops,all injectors,both cam phasers and cam sensors along with crank sensor,New mass air sensor,new throttle body,and new throttle position sensor
Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Replace your FPDM while your tossing parts at it...

Last edited by techrep; 06-30-2015 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 f150 injectors not pulsing