Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 Door speakers ...components from factory?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2005 F150 Door speakers ...components from factory?

Hey everyone. I just pulled apart my factory door panel access to the speakers. Looking from the outside I thought...ehhh just another 5x7 - 6x8 factory junk setup. As I removed the speaker plate bolts and looked on the back it looks like the plate houses a 5 1/4 inch? factory mid and a crossover mounted beside it. Of course the tweet is up in the door at top. I have searched , but cant find any info on these factory speakers. Mine sound pretty good and I would hate to ignorantly go out and slap in a set of pioneer 6x8s that downgrade from my current setup...lol
Can anyone tell me some details and info on these ?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikiedoo
Hey everyone. I just pulled apart my factory door panel access to the speakers. Looking from the outside I thought...ehhh just another 5x7 - 6x8 factory junk setup. As I removed the speaker plate bolts and looked on the back it looks like the plate houses a 5 1/4 inch? factory mid and a crossover mounted beside it. Of course the tweet is up in the door at top. I have searched , but cant find any info on these factory speakers. Mine sound pretty good and I would hate to ignorantly go out and slap in a set of pioneer 6x8s that downgrade from my current setup...lol Can anyone tell me some details and info on these ? Thanks
sounds like you had the audiophile speakers. Do you have the sub? Factory 6 disc or nav?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
sounds like you had the audiophile speakers. Do you have the sub? Factory 6 disc or nav?
Yes it has the factory sub. Not sure about nav because the previous owner swapped out the headunit for a pioneer touchscreen.

Thanks, that gives me some info to research now.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 what Johnny said. If you got factory components and sub, you have the audiophile system.

If I may ask, what are you trying to accomplish sound wise in an upgrade? Are you trying to keep your current speakers but just get more out of them, or replace for a lounder system?

If you already have components I wouldn't replace them with coaxial speakers. You're right in that most cases it would be a downgrade. There are some super nice coaxial speakers but nothing beats the components sound with a crossover.

The only way to really upgrade what you have is to get another set of components and put an amp matching the watts behind them. The audiophile set up is pretty good for stock speakers though from all the trucks I've been in that had them. Not sure if you can retro an amp to stocks or not. I can't remember if audiophile stock head units have a built in amp (nothing special but more than non audiophile, or any aftermarket 50w x 4 channel set up), or a separate speaker amp. Could be your speakers just not getting enough power with the aftermarket deck
Old 05-02-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bluebullet10
+1 what Johnny said. If you got factory components and sub, you have the audiophile system.

If I may ask, what are you trying to accomplish sound wise in an upgrade? Are you trying to keep your current speakers but just get more out of them, or replace for a lounder system?

If you already have components I wouldn't replace them with coaxial speakers. You're right in that most cases it would be a downgrade. There are some super nice coaxial speakers but nothing beats the components sound with a crossover.

The only way to really upgrade what you have is to get another set of components and put an amp matching the watts behind them. The audiophile set up is pretty good for stock speakers though from all the trucks I've been in that had them. Not sure if you can retro an amp to stocks or not. I can't remember if audiophile stock head units have a built in amp (nothing special but more than non audiophile, or any aftermarket 50w x 4 channel set up), or a separate speaker amp. Could be your speakers just not getting enough power with the aftermarket deck
Thanks,
Yeah I am probably going to leave them in the doors. I am definitely going louder. I sold the under seat factory box and just purchased a set of RE audio dual 4 ohm 10s. I am fixing to order my Supercrew sound under seat box. I also found an old school 80s era Rockford Fosgate punch 150 in mint condition. I have actually mounted it inside the center glove box...along with the distribution box. I am running zero gauge wire to the distr box and 6 gauge out to the amp.
I am probably going with the Q-logic kick panels to add an additional 6.5 and tweet. I will then have to get another amp for them.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Also, just to clarify why I am using Zero gauge wire...lol
My Son had 15 foot of it out in our shop that he used years ago. So it was free and a pretty good conversation piece once the hood goes up.
Definitely overkill, but since it was free, hey.

I really do like my audiophiles and will add to the system rather than replace them. Do you know if there are components in the rear doors? I have yet to look to see.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM

One question....

If I replace the audiophile 5.25 speakers with 6.5s in the doors, what should I go with....a full range, midbass or woofer to use?
I want to still use the factory crossover in the door and the factory tweet.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 6.5" kicker component sets in all 4 doors. they sound great and they come with new crossovers.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should do a blow through and put 4X 12" JLW6 s in the box...LOL... Yeah I'm going to agree with everyone else sounds like an audiophile system.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikiedoo
One question.... If I replace the audiophile 5.25 speakers with 6.5s in the doors, what should I go with....a full range, midbass or woofer to use? I want to still use the factory crossover in the door and the factory tweet. Thanks
if I were you, since I have those nice re 10's for sub bass and those factory tweets, I would go with a nice 6" mid-bass driver for the doors to pull all the highs and lows together. A lot of people just add subs and tweets to their set up and forget the mids. I think the mids are just as important plus they round out the sound.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Door speakers ...components from factory?