Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 4.6L engine miss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2005 F150 4.6L engine miss?

Hey guys, I am new here, but not new to being a fan of the F150. Hopefully this summer I will be the owner of a new 2012 F150.

Anyway now my dad is looking at a 2005 F150 with the 4.6L that a friend of his has. Its a 2wd XL, but has the cloth seats, the interior and body are excellent conditions. He priced it to my dad for $5000 (which is a little below book value). Its high mileage however, (210K), but the engine sounds good, but it has a miss and the check engine light is on. He took it about 6 months ago and had the oil changed, new belts and spark plugs, drove it very little and its been setting for sale for about 3 months. When dad started it this evening, the engine was missing and the CEL light is on. His friend suggested he drive the truck for as long as he likes, but I have advised my dad to take it to a mechanic and have it checked out first, maybe even the dealer to have it checked out to be safe.

I am no stranger to the 4.6L, my 95 Lincoln Town Car has a the 4.6L, but I am sure this 2005 version is different?

Just kinda getting a heads up here to see if these are still good engines (I have 196K on my 95 and it still runs perfect), and seeing if someone has any ideas on the miss. I am wondering if its just a bad plug, or missing from setting for awhile?

Thanks for any info/advice.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 PM

I have been reading that the 5.4L have some issues with engine misfiring, but not too much about the 4.6L.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Ok heres what I would do hook it up to a computer at a auto parts store and they will tell you what it says and if it says it has a missfire than change the coil pack there is 8 on them so if it says cyl 6 miss fire than change that coil pack and it will run like a dream. I had a 00 and I changed that and it ran like a brand new one these coil packs arent that good after they get water on them I heard but thats what I did and it worked great for me.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by brandonjr36
Ok heres what I would do hook it up to a computer at a auto parts store and they will tell you what it says and if it says it has a missfire than change the coil pack there is 8 on them so if it says cyl 6 miss fire than change that coil pack and it will run like a dream. I had a 00 and I changed that and it ran like a brand new one these coil packs arent that good after they get water on them I heard but thats what I did and it worked great for me.
Thanks Brandon. Well my dad had took it to a local Ford dealer today to get them to check it out and it was indeed a coil pack that is bad on the #2 cylinder. I never thought about him simply taking it to Autozone or somwhere.

They (dealer) also told him a bunch of other things that was "wrong" with it, but I think alot of it was lies just to get him to get it fixed there and make money off of him. They said it needed an intake gasket ($778.00), battery and cables cleaned ($158.00), tranny service, coolant flush, etc, etc, etc. Once outside the guy (tech) was bringing the truck out and my dad asked him the about that intake gasket and he acted like as if the dealer makes them act like things are a big deal, which arent. He told dad alot of those 4.6L's did that and it was nothing to be concerned about, but I dont know. I have a 95 Town Car with the 4.6L and am familiar with these cars, but I guess the 4.6L in these F150s are different beasts.

I dont know what he can get it for now, when he gets to show the seller the estimate of over $1000 for repairs, he may come down on the price, but IMO, I think that coil pack you mentioned is all it needs.

Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Yea well congrats on getting it fixed. hopefully no more problems lol....

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 4.6L engine miss?