Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F-150 Vibrating when in Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F-150 Vibrating when in Gear

Hello everyone, I'm back again, this time with a newer model with far less problems. Of course like everything else in life right now the problems keep coming.

Went out about 20 minutes ago to move the truck into the light so I could try to get our hard cover to close properly (whole other novel there). As soon as I put it in drive it started to vibrate noticeably. I chalked it up to the hard cover being up and made a note to check it later. Got the cap closed and went to move it back to its spot. Vibration still there, called my wife over (she normally drives it) asked her if it had been vibrating she said no, got her to get in and put it in gear and she said she could definitely feel it too. So the good news is I'm not crazy, the bad news is we've got another problem.

This is an automatic transmission.

Several recent events I'm looking at in order of most recent to least recent:

Wife spun out on a wet day and collided with a parked vehicle. Wasn't hard or violent, barely dented a fender and didn't shift the contents of the cab.

In typical Guinea fashion we had a flood here and the truck was the only one that could get in or out. Water wasn't more than two feet at the deepest. Did notice the truck sounded different for a while after (may still and I've just gotten used to it).

Towed a boat 4600lbs + some gallons of water. Idiot newbie that I am, drove the thing in low gear before remembering that it wasn't meant to go that fast had to go 15 for a mile and a half to get someplace to stop. Could smell burning trans fluid. Haven't had a chance to replace fluid.

So that's about it. I'm guessing that it may have something to do with the towing and will check transmission fluid if I can figure it out. Only thing is it is night now and my wife will have to drive it tomorrow. I don't know enough to know if ti is safe for her to drive it or not.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vibration seems to have gone on its own. Anything I should be looking out for?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Yes. Get the burnt transmission fluid out of there! Get it completely flushed; not just a pan drop, filter and a couple of quarts of transmission fluid, but a COMPLETE fluid flush/change.

Take it to your local Ford dealership, or e reputable transmission shop. They both will have a machine that connects to the transmission cooling lines (they run up to the front and connect to the transmission cooler), Then they run the engine and allow the transmission fluid to run through this machine which flushes out all the old, burnt transmission fluid with new clean fluid. They will also replace the transmission filter as well. You'll be good to go for another 60,000 miles, provided you don't burn the fluid again doing what you did before.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 10-16-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2005 F-150 Vibrating when in Gear