Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 f-150 gage cluster issue

Old 10-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 f-150 gage cluster issue

My 2005 F-150 gage cluster only illuminates when the head lights or parking lights are turned on. The radio illuminates properly during both daytime operation and when the headlights are turned on.The dimmer switch works properly and all other lighting functions appear normal. The gage cluster is not lit during daytime use.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Platinum R.R.

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe you have a Tail light Burned out.
Check all your lights.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:32 PM

All lites are functional
Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 PM

All lites are functional.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Oregon F-150
My 2005 F-150 gage cluster only illuminates when the head lights or parking lights are turned on. The radio illuminates properly during both daytime operation and when the headlights are turned on.The dimmer switch works properly and all other lighting functions appear normal. The gage cluster is not lit during daytime use.
Do you mean the odometer is not illuminated, or the entire cluster? Do you have autolamps?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 PM

The entire cluster does not illuminate equally when operating under daytime conditions.. It does not appear as though one or a particular number of functions within the cluster are "lighting" up and others are not, it is the entire cluster. All the while the radio is illuminated properly. When I turn on the headlights,
the entire cluster illuminates equally and the dimmer has good control over illumination levels. Again all "lit" functions on the dash i.e. radio, heater controls illuminate properly when headlights are turned on.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM

The entire cluster does not illuminate equally when operating under daytime conditions.. It does not appear as though one or a particular number of functions within the cluster are "lighting" up and others are not, it is the entire cluster. All the while the radio is illuminated properly. When I turn on the headlights,
the entire cluster illuminates equally and the dimmer has good control over illumination levels. Again all "lit" functions on the dash i.e. radio, heater controls illuminate properly when headlights are turned on.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say it does not illuminate under daytime conditions.

If you mean the backlighting is not active, the cluster only lights the odometer when the headlights are off. This is the proper operation of the lighting in the cluster. and would indicate there is a problem with the radio or radios wiring if it is illuminated all the time.

If you mean the indicator lights (turn signal, brights, CEL, brake) are not operating I have no idea what could cause that other than a faulty IC in the cluster.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 PM

If that is the case, then the backlighting is not functional when the headlights are "off".
During daytime driving you cannot see any of the gages well enough to see fuel level, battery condition, oil pressure, engine temperature and speed. If I turn the headlights "on" I can see them a little better. Of course at night there is no problem since the backlighting functions well when the headlights are turned "on".
I really appreciate your helping out here.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If that is the case, then the backlighting is not functional when the headlights are "off".
During daytime driving you cannot see any of the gages well enough to see fuel level, battery condition, oil pressure, engine temperature and speed. If I turn the headlights "on" I can see them a little better. Of course at night there is no problem since the backlighting functions well when the headlights are turned "on".
I really appreciate your helping out here.
I think there's a bit of confusion. Trims have different clusters on these trucks. I have a Lariat and the only thing that lights up without the headlights is the info panel. On top of this I think we don't fully understand the issue. Maybe post a pic of your cluster to clarify?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 AM

AFAIK that is how the cluster is designed to operate for all clusters, regardless of trim level

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 f-150 gage cluster issue