Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 engine turns off ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 engine turns off ????

F150 2005 will be driving and without warning the engine turns off gas pedal dead and i have to pull over put in park then restart .Truck starts right up and i can drive away,only happens once in awhile without warning.Scan for error codes and it was the throttle accelerator,so i changed out the gas pedal unit with a new one.Truck ran fine for two weeks and then again today it stalled out again seems to be the same problem as before,no error code light this time .Anyonr else have this condition?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 PM
stirring it up a little

Location: from fenton mi. currently lima ohio for school and work

the pedal unit wouldn't be it check into the thottle by wire the tps sensor something might be shorting and closing the throttle body causeing it so stall does in happen in certain conditions
Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM

No certian conditions just normal driving, usually it happens when i maintian one speed lets say 40 mph following a car for a period of time and then pedal goes dead ,engine sometimes stay running around 900 rpm but when i press down on the gas pedal the computer is not reading it.And then sometimes engine just shuts off.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As I am learning from this site, the TPS (throttle position sensor) sends the signal to the PCM as to how far the throttle is open. Its a hostile crowd on here tonight, won"t say further.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 PM
stirring it up a little

Location: from fenton mi. currently lima ohio for school and work

haha yeah people on this forum get hostile fast, i was when i first joined. but you know how people are everyones an expert im a mechanic and im in college for automotive technology so im just giving my professional opinion if i give somebody advice
Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd check the TPS connection for tightness, as well as corrosion (perhaps some moisture got into it, and the connection vibrates loose during odd ball situations). In any event, these are the toughest problems to find, and can be traced in most cases to a loose or corrosive connection.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 PM

Mine would do that in the rain. Couldn't figure it out. Then it finally threw a code (I don't know which one) but it turned out to be the fuel control module that is above the spare tire. The back had a hole corroded in it, and when it rained it would short. The dealer said I was lucky they have been replacing them like crazy. Usually the vehicle would just die for no reason. I don't know if it is what you are experiencing, also I live in CNY with a lot of snow and salt.

Quick Reply: 2005 engine turns off ????