Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 5.6L Battery Harness Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 5.4L Battery Harness Issue

So I went to take out the battery in my f150 because it was toast. I noticed there was corrosion all over the negative post. I proceeded to take off the negative then the positive post to take out the battery. I figured I needed to replace the negative post (pictured below) because of its poor condition. NAPA had the new post for $5, no problem. When I tried to take the old post off, I noticed that it is permanently attached on the wiring beneath the rubber sleeve. Pictured below is where i'm currently at, I tore off the old post trying to have more room to use battery terminal cleaner hoping that less corrosion would allow me to remove the old post.

Where i'm at currently. I figured I need to now get a new battery harness because I can't replace the post apparently. Does anyone have any guidance as to what I could do besides getting a new harness? If I do need a new one how difficult is it to replace it? It seems that I have messed up and ought to have just cleaned off the old corroded post? Sorry if what I'm referring to as a post is called something else, this is my first posting on this forum.

Thanks,
-Nick
Attached Images     

Last edited by PrusikPeak; 02-07-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

i think you should be able to take a flathead and bend the crimped connector off and expose the bare copper.. and put a regular terminal on there
Old 11-29-2016, 11:02 PM

@grss429 The crimped connector is connected to the steel around the copper wire. If I bend the crimped connector more I may be able to expose a tiny bit more wire to put in the new terminal. I think for it to work properly I would need that whole metal part off. It's pretty tight, not sure how I could get it off.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 AM

Thanks though, I cut off the excess metal hanging. Then just put the contact in a new connector. A lot more simple than I thought.