Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005-2009 F150 Brake Sponginess

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005-2009 F150 Brake Sponginess

I just replaced the front rotors and pads on my '06 F150. I have proof the mushiness you feel is undoubtedly air in the lines. Rather than force the fluid back into the system, I opened the bleeder valve and pressed the fluid out of the caliper with a c-clamp. I always use a clear plastic hose in a plastic bottle half full of fluid as this allows you to see exactly what is going on and eliminates the risk of sucking air back into the system. In any case, the ammount of air that came out of the caliper was rediculous so I decided to press the cylinders all the way in. I installed the pads and rotors and now the difference is like night and day. My pedal is firm and I have no more spongy feel. This is a safety issue and ford should recall all of these F150s.

As you can all tell, I liked the faces.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Average Joe

Originally Posted by asdfasdf
I just replaced the front rotors and pads on my '06 F150. I have proof the mushiness you feel is undoubtedly air in the lines. Rather than force the fluid back into the system, I opened the bleeder valve and pressed the fluid out of the caliper with a c-clamp. I always use a clear plastic hose in a plastic bottle half full of fluid as this allows you to see exactly what is going on and eliminates the risk of sucking air back into the system. In any case, the ammount of air that came out of the caliper was rediculous so I decided to press the cylinders all the way in. I installed the pads and rotors and now the difference is like night and day. My pedal is firm and I have no more spongy feel. This is a safety issue and ford should recall all of these F150s.

As you can all tell, I liked the faces.

Hope you don't have ABS. I am pretty sure that you are never supposed to use clamps to force the calipers in on a vehicle with ABS...

Good info to know about the air in the lines though.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 PM

You're absolutely right. You're not to force the brake fluid back into the system but you somehow have to account for the new pads being thicker so you have two options:
1. Force the fluid back into the system (not good per above)
2. Open the bleeder valve and force the fluid out of the system, which is the same as bleeding the brakes with the rotors/pads installed only that you're forcing fluid out from the bottom up instead of top down (i.e. from the caliper to the bleeder valve instead of from the master cylinder to the bleeder valve).
3. Sand down the brake pads (just kidding).
4. Use a super-fancy vacuum aparatus to bleed the brakes (which, incidentally, is the same as 2 above only that the force is internal rather than external. Actually, if you want to get technical, the moving force is still external in the case of a vacuum aparatus.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

pushing the caliper back in is perfectly ok. still never hurts to bleed them when u do a brake job tho.

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 F150 Brake Sponginess