Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 up UNDER HOOD RELAY BOX-COVER

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2004 up UNDER HOOD RELAY BOX-COVER

I'm missing my cover for the under the hood relay box. Could someone with the 5.4 engine look under their hood, pop off the cover and give me the part number on the plastic relay box cover.

Also, My local ford dealership service department tried to rape me to the tune of $348! ..................................
Here's the story if anyone's interested:
The AC in my 2004 F150 w/53kmiles, had quit blowing cold suddenly. I brought it to to dealer, (since my wife's expedition had been there the day before for warranty for a power seat track replacement.) I told the service writer I had checked all the fuses, and determined the system still had pressure. but I had no way of checking the relay. (2004 F150 w/52k miles) Diagnostic estimate was $95 which I agreed to......The service writer said that my "main engine" relay was bad and they had to order one and the relay box cover (missing). Service manager said truck also had to be reprogrammed after changing relay (2.5 hours labor $95 = $348 total). He released the truck to me with an "open ticket" while the parts were ordered. ........The mechanic brought the truck to me to drive home. I asked him if it "was" the AC relay. He said yes and the cover was missing. He said water had corroded the relay and it shorted out. .........Now, while driving home, I began stewing over an obvious bogus $348 charge. I drove home and pulled the identical relay out of my wife's Expedition in the garage (which is still waiting on an "ordered" seattrack .......My truck's AC came on - works fine. No check engine light....no reprogramming needed. I then stopped by Oreilly's while on the way back to the ford dealer and purchased a Borg Warner relay for $11.45. It works fine, also........Then I confronted the service writer. He said he was happy for me. I told him I thought it was wrong to overcharge people for unneccessaywork. He said his prices are fixed and had no control over them. I then told him I wanted to settle up for the initial $95 diagnostic estimate. He said there was no charge!..........
Earlier, while at the dealership, I was walking around, waiting on the AC estimate, and the owner came up to me and we had a nice
conversation about the economy, my job at the chemical plant nearby and said if I ever needed anything, don't hesitate to ask for him. (my
plant supplies polyurethane MDI to FORD, GM, Chrysler, BMW for seats, dash door panels, poly bumpers, etc.) .........I really think this service writer didn't want me to "take it any higher"...... Do you guys think I should talk to the owner again or just drop it. The service writer DID tear up the bill.

I'm more than happy to pay fair prices for fair work done.
"Word of mouth is good or can be damaging"

Thanks for your Ear and that part number in advance,
Eric

(attached: my 1973 mustang)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2004 up UNDER HOOD RELAY BOX-COVER