Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 Problems. Electrical??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 Problems. Electrical??

i will make this short and and simple.

First problem- I was driving and the battery light came on, followed quickly by a huge electrical failure in the truck. The radio would turn off (loose power), all different lights would randomly come on and off in the dash (abs, brake, airbag, exc.) Then everything electrical turned off and the car lost power.

What i did about it?- New Bosch battery, new alternator.

Next problem- I start the car, everything seems fine. Start driving, everything seems fine. Pull onto a street and open it up a little. Once i got to higher RPMs the radio turned off (lost power). The brake and abs lights came on, and the truck bogged out and would not accelerate for a few seconds... then the radio turned back on and everything went back to normal. The yellow wrench stayed lit on the dash. Now it does this all the time while driving. Only a couple seconds and goes back to normal. The check engine light came on.

what i did about it- read the codes... no codes found. reset the light and it is still doing this problem all the time. I think it might be the computer??? can someone please help me. I just get afraid sometime it will shut down again and not turn back on then im stuck somewhere.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:38 AM

That sounds like something that needs to be taken to the dealership. That definitely sounds like some sort of computer or electrical short issue.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by spec_ops57
That sounds like something that needs to be taken to the dealership. That definitely sounds like some sort of computer or electrical short issue.
I agree. Problems like this simply cannot be diagnosed and/or provided solutions on a forum like this. Sounds like you have an electrical gremlin. Unless you (or someone else) recently did a repair that you can check for loose connections araound that location, it will need to be troubleshot using the factory test steps. I have these in Volumn 2 of my factory repair manual set, but it's way too long to post it here. It also requires some special diagnostic boxes to test certain components.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 PM

perhaps maybe a bad connection to the alternator? Because i just had that replaced. Would that cause a problem like this?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spazman622
perhaps maybe a bad connection to the alternator? Because i just had that replaced. Would that cause a problem like this?
Spazman- Do a "Search" using "P0462 code". Read what I posted under my screen name. I AM NOT saying I think this is your problem, but I wouldn't discount it either. Neither I nor "Budda" had loss of power, but we certainly had quite a few of the other symptoms. I have actually had it reoccur 3 or 4 times since the post but all I have had to do was slap the dash (flat handed) above the right side of the instrument cluster and it immediately returns to normal. It definitely seems to be the connections on the wire loom plug described in my post. Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you ever get this problem resolved? I'm having a similar issue.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Damn I would hate that issue.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

PCM reflash... If that doesn't work, probably looking at a new PCM which is around a grand

Quick Reply: 2004 Problems. Electrical??