Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 Lariat 5.4 Air Conditioner Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lariat 5.4 Air Conditioner Problem

My a/c quit blowing cold, just warm air. I got a B1263 DTC on the EATC. I went through all the diags and readings check ok. Air blows thought the appropriate panels when requested.

I checked the fuses and relays for the compressor, and they all check ok. I think the compressor clutch is constant running, it's hard to see it. What a pain where Ford installed the compressor on these trucks, very hard to get to.

I checked my Low & High sides readings and get the following:

When running & hot: slowly raises & lowers between 100-103 PSI low side; steady 110 PSI high side

When off and engine cool: 95 PSI low side & 110 PSI high side

It's about 75-80 ambient temp.

I also pulled the compressor relay, and it looks like the compressor clutch is still engaged, but as I mentioned before, I don't hear cycling and it's hard to see it.

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas, and if I need to replace/repair the compressor; any step-by-steps to do that? Like I said the compress is hard to get to, so any help is mucho appreciated!

Sam
Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just found the problem. As I said before, I couldn't tell if the clutch was working or not. It just didn't make sense. I've been doing further research and watching YT videos, then it dawned on me. The front of the pulley of my compressor didn't look right. I got a stronger flashlight and lo and behold, the clutch plate nut came off and the plate fell. The plate was still sitting on a brace member. Although the bolt is missing and (was there any spacers).

My a/c cold quit working out in the Mojave desert two weekends ago and I drove home with out a/c (200 miles). That plate didn't fall off since then. How lucky.

Anyways, I got to find another bolt and see what happens. I hope I can get my fat ***** under the truck enough and twist my arm to see if I can fit it back on and hope cold air blows again.

Sam

Quick Reply: 2004 Lariat 5.4 Air Conditioner Problem